Canada flights cancelled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that being on a liveaboard would be just about the worst case possible scenario for spreading the virus on a micro scale.

It boils down on how thorough the boat operator sanitized the boat, screened the guests & crews and disciplined in following CDC protocols. I explained those in details in my trip report. I’m COVID-19 free, so far, knock on wood.

Contactless pick up only with testing for store staff is not very different from your delivery only scheme, and very feasible. Assuming 'out shopping' means picking up in one's own car. Not that that covers those who must take a bus etc to reach the grocery store, or the store is not on the web. But 'wear an effective **** mask' goes a long way.

Nope if they drive themselves then at some point they have to get gas, which means touching what others have touched and can spread a disease. Grocery stores only open and only doing contact less delivery with test every few days is the only sure way.

It boils down on how thorough the boat operator sanitized the boat, screened the guests & crews and disciplined in following CDC protocols. I explained those in details in my trip report. I’m COVID-19 free, so far, knock on wood.
OK, but I don't see how the CDC guidelines can be observed or be effective on a liveaboard when you are living for several days in an enclosed volume of air with strangers. Screening guests can't be 100% effective for a number of reasons (recent exposure not showing up on tests, potential false negatives, etc.). If someone aboard were to become ill while you are at sea, or worse yet, become an asymptomatic carrier, what would you do?

But full disclosure: I freely admit that I have never been on a liveaboard, although in these days and times I am certain not to any time soon.

Nope if they drive themselves then at some point they have to get gas, which means touching what others have touched and can spread a disease. Grocery stores only open and only doing contact less delivery with test every few days is the only sure way.
I have to get gas occasionally, and when I do I have a bottle of sanitizer and a spritzer of Everclear that I use on my hands and everything I touch.

I think getting gas outside wearing a mask and sanitizing one's hands before and after is a very low-risk situation. Wandering about a grocery store and standing in line indoors, or working indoors for hours while others do that is a much higher risk. I agree contactless delivery is more assured and covers more people, but it requires more delivery workers than I think we have. Every week would be easier. Once a month covers beans, rice, oil and multivitamins.

I have to get gas occasionally, and when I do I have a bottle of sanitizer and a spritzer of Everclear that I use on my hands and everything I touch.

You do, if I had to guess I would say 5% of us do that.

Some of you need to get my wife to train you. When we shop EVERYTHING gets disinfected before going into the house. Takes longer to do that than shop. When you come out of the store you wash your hands with Purell, then get the key fob out & clean it with the wet hands & use it to unlock the car. After loading the car you disinfect your hands again because you touched the bags or packaging. Same goes at the gas pumps. Insert credit card, remove & disinfect before putting it away. I personally use work gloves to pump the gas but I still disinfect my hands when they come off. Door handles & inside door pulls & steering wheel plus shifter knob get done too. Mail goes into the quarantine room or sits for a few days before getting opened, packaging gets discarded safely then you disinfect your hands again. I do sometimes forget a step here & there & get scolded for it but we're doing everything we can to stay safe.
This has been the drill since 2 weeks after getting home from Cozumel last Feb. When our federal government declared the state of emergency we paid attention. When the fully relaxed most restrictions last summer I actually shopped twice for what could be considered "non essential" goods. Every other visit to a store fits the "essential" guidelines. Than goodness we can shop on line for most of the trivial stuff but as mentioned when it arrives it's quarantined for 5 or more days or opened wearing work gloves & the packaging then is removed to a quarantined garbage zone. Work gloves come off & hands get sanitized again. Thanks to hobbies we're staying sane through all of it too.

Some of you need to get my wife to train you. When we shop EVERYTHING gets disinfected before going into the house. Takes longer to do that than shop. When you come out of the store you wash your hands with Purell, then get the key fob out & clean it with the wet hands & use it to unlock the car. After loading the car you disinfect your hands again because you touched the bags or packaging. Same goes at the gas pumps. Insert credit card, remove & disinfect before putting it away. I personally use work gloves to pump the gas but I still disinfect my hands when they come off. Door handles & inside door pulls & steering wheel plus shifter knob get done too. Mail goes into the quarantine room or sits for a few days before getting opened, packaging gets discarded safely then you disinfect your hands again. I do sometimes forget a step here & there & get scolded for it but we're doing everything we can to stay safe.
This has been the drill since 2 weeks after getting home from Cozumel last Feb. When our federal government declared the state of emergency we paid attention. When the fully relaxed most restrictions last summer I actually shopped twice for what could be considered "non essential" goods. Every other visit to a store fits the "essential" guidelines. Than goodness we can shop on line for most of the trivial stuff but as mentioned when it arrives it's quarantined for 5 or more days or opened wearing work gloves & the packaging then is removed to a quarantined garbage zone. Work gloves come off & hands get sanitized again. Thanks to hobbies we're staying sane through all of it too.
You are more obsessive compulsive that even I am :)

Its easier to leave the non perishables in the pantry for 24 hours....no need to sanitize as the virus cannot spread and will die within this time span...

OK, but I don't see how the CDC guidelines can be observed or be effective on a liveaboard when you are living for several days in an enclosed volume of air with strangers. Screening guests can't be 100% effective for a number of reasons (recent exposure not showing up on tests, potential false negatives, etc.). If someone aboard were to become ill while you are at sea, or worse yet, become an asymptomatic carrier, what would you do?

But full disclosure: I freely admit that I have never been on a liveaboard, although in these days and times I am certain not to any time soon.

I guess you don’t read my report. For social distancing in the LOB dining room, here is their rule:
The meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner) were served by the hosts during this pandemic situation, no buffet. The dining room would be kept into maximum of 14 divers at a time. For example, Shark 1 and Mantas would dine first and after 30 minutes, they were asked to vacate the dining room to let Shark 2 to have their turn to dine. On the next day, Shark 2 would dine first. Shark 1 and Mantas would dine after Shark 2 left the dining room. This alternating order of meal time was conducted for the 8 days we were on the boat.

Everyone’s body temperatures (including the crew’s) were daily measured, logged and reviewed by Captain Shep.

They have sanitizer bottles mounted / placed every where.

Everyone wore mask when they were outside of their cabins, except during mealtime, where we were spread over the huge dining area.

Before boarding the boat, we were required to go through a medical check in interview three hours before boarding the boat. That includes submitting a negative PCR test within 7 days of boarding and a log sheet of our body temperatures, measured twice a day for 7 days prior to boarding the boat. A medical professional would review the document, measured your body temperature, blood pressure and interview you for any medical conditions that would indicate of any symptoms of COVID-19 exposure (fever or chills, coughing, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion, inability to wake or stay awake, bluish lips or face). Then everyone was thoroughly sprayed with disinfectant, before stepping on the boat.

After passing the checkin interview and everyone having no symptoms of COVID-19 exposure in the boat for a week, I felt like we were in a COVID-19 free bubble, like at home. Disembarking the boat felt like we were back in the virus invested environment in the port. Even worse when I was back in Houston airport, facing those mask deniers with useless bandana on their chin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom