Canada flights cancelled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are more obsessive compulsive that even I am :)

Not me it's my wife. You need to know we buy & deliver groceries to her 93 year old mother who is VERY important to her. She needs to feel she has taken every precaution possible. Because of that it's important I don't do something which could nullify all her careful work.

You do, if I had to guess I would say 5% of us do that.

Whenever I go to the gas station I wear my mask and use a sanitizing wipe for anything I would touch. I even wrap it around the gas handle to put it in the car. Once done I sanitize my hands. Shopping carts get a solid wipe down and anything like door handles for freezers, etc I open with a sanitizing wipe. I also go early in the AM when there's not many people there and use self-checkout which I wipe down before use. Not 100% perfect but so far has worked good for us.

Some of you need to get my wife to train you. When we shop EVERYTHING gets disinfected before going into the house. Takes longer to do that than shop. When you come out of the store you wash your hands with Purell, then get the key fob out & clean it with the wet hands & use it to unlock the car. After loading the car you disinfect your hands again because you touched the bags or packaging. Same goes at the gas pumps. Insert credit card, remove & disinfect before putting it away. I personally use work gloves to pump the gas but I still disinfect my hands when they come off. Door handles & inside door pulls & steering wheel plus shifter knob get done too. Mail goes into the quarantine room or sits for a few days before getting opened, packaging gets discarded safely then you disinfect your hands again. I do sometimes forget a step here & there & get scolded for it but we're doing everything we can to stay safe.
This has been the drill since 2 weeks after getting home from Cozumel last Feb. When our federal government declared the state of emergency we paid attention. When the fully relaxed most restrictions last summer I actually shopped twice for what could be considered "non essential" goods. Every other visit to a store fits the "essential" guidelines. Than goodness we can shop on line for most of the trivial stuff but as mentioned when it arrives it's quarantined for 5 or more days or opened wearing work gloves & the packaging then is removed to a quarantined garbage zone. Work gloves come off & hands get sanitized again. Thanks to hobbies we're staying sane through all of it too.
We don't go quite that far, but we have all groceries and restaurant meals delivered, and everything that comes into the house gets sprayed down with 95% ethanol (Everclear). I don't wear gloves when I pump gas, but I use the alcohol spray or hand sanitizer on everything I touch and my hands, credit cards, and door handles afterwards.

I've been working from home since mid March last year, and I'm lucky to have a good job that allows me to do that. I play music in my man cave, but it's not as much fun as it was when I could have people for Jam Night. My wife is a graphic designer and has a few clients left, and she makes Tshirts and bumper stickers, too. The only place we go is to my daughter's; she and her guy are careful like us and there's my 1-1/2 year old grandson to play with. All in all, it's a bit of a bad trip, but we have it so much better than so many others that I don't complain. Not much, anyway... :D

You'd wear gloves to pump gas now. - 25 C is tonight's low but mid week it's going to warm up to - 5 C as the highs. All in all it's been a warmer winter than usual but it's still cold when pumping gas from Mid Oct thru Mid April.

Whenever I go to the gas station I wear my mask and use a sanitizing wipe for anything I would touch. I even wrap it around the gas handle to put it in the car. Once done I sanitize my hands. Shopping carts get a solid wipe down and anything like door handles for freezers, etc I open with a sanitizing wipe. I also go early in the AM when there's not many people there and use self-checkout which I wipe down before use. Not 100% perfect but so far has worked good for us.

Again we are the minority. Look around when your at the store, at least half the people don't even have the mask on right.

As a side note to all our precautions (if we're doing what's recommended) there has been a really important spin off most may not have noticed. How many of you usually catch a bad cold or maybe get the flu every winter or have friends / family members that do. The precautions to avoid spreading Covid are also reducing other communicable diseases.

P.E.I. lozenge plant lays off 30 workers after weak cold and cough season

We’ve certainly noticed that. It’s normally flu session. We would be testing and admitting patients for flu. This year, despite testing for both Covid and flu, we’ve not had a single positive flu in my hospital, and less than ten across the whole system. This is with imperfect public compliance with social distancing, as we’ve certainly had many many patients admitted for COVID. It just goes to show how much more transmissible COVID is. I’m going to go out on a limb again and speculate that cold and flus aren’t really a problem in Japan and South Korea, and maybe going forward, less of a problem here if people in denser areas continue to mask up in crowded spaces out of personal preference and lessening of social sanctions for doing so.

It seems to me that being on a liveaboard would be just about the worst case possible scenario for spreading the virus on a micro scale.

Unless you're all negative, then it becomes about the safest scenario.

Reactions: Dan
Unless you're all negative, then it becomes about the safest scenario.

That seems to be the case on my last 2 liveaboard trips (to Cocos in December & to Socorro in January).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom