Canada flights cancelled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pro tip:

Given the lack of direct flights you’ll have to fly and connect through the US. Best to park your car at the airport nearby to a car rental agency. On the way home to Canada fly to an airport on the US side nearest to where you parked. Rent a car and drive across the border to your airport and return the rental. It’s only a $100 surcharge (at YYZ anyway). You will only need the 72 PCR test at the land border. Well it’s preferable but they will do a rapid test if you don’t show up with it but best to make life easy IMO and present the 72hr one. Drop off the rental and go home for 14 days.
Save $2000-$3000 per person.

Only risk being the Biden administration closes all crossings to Canadians. Unlike our government there will be a several week warning of impending changes.

Pro tip:

Given the lack of direct flights you’ll have to fly and connect through the US. Best to park your car at the airport nearby to a car rental agency. On the way home to Canada fly to an airport on the US side nearest to where you parked. Rent a car and drive across the border to your airport and return the rental. It’s only a $100 surcharge (at YYZ anyway). You will only need the 72 PCR test at the land border. Well it’s preferable but they will do a rapid test if you don’t show up with it but best to make life easy IMO and present the 72hr one. Drop off the rental and go home for 14 days.

Only risk being the Biden administration closes all crossings to Canadians. Unlike our government there will be a several week warning of impending changes.
It was only a matter of time

To those traveling while 'following all the covid recommendations', it seems like they are skipping the do not travel part of the recommendations. Even going to great lengths to skip that part of the recommendations or even the travel restrictions.

Pro tip:

This is for those citizens who want to make their own travel decisions vs the wishes of our dear leader with his history making 3 ethics violations and history of blackface.....

I don't see this working because when the Passport gets scanned it's going to show where they've been & for how long. Once the agent sees that info he or she is going to get very curious & the answers to the questions had better be VERY good.

I don't see this working because when the Passport gets scanned it's going to show where they've been & for how long. Once the agent sees that info he or she is going to get very curious & the answers to the questions had better be VERY good.

Agreed. Even if you convince them not to stamp your passport in Mexico, I would guess there is some sharing of information between countries on the comings and goings of their citizens. I live by the US/Canada border and I'd guess half the time they ask me questions, they already know the answer prior to me even speaking. It's the digital age.

Even if that didn't work, mikeycanuk, what you're suggesting is actively trying to evade immigration rules and laws imposed by your government. Though they have to let you back into your country they also have the right to fine you and charge you with criminal violations. Somewhat speculating, but I'd guess they could also confiscate your passport, but not sure on that.

What you're proposing isn't just fibbing about how many cigars and bottles of booze you're bringing home, but rather, clear violations of national immigration rules. I'm not you, but I certainly am not willing to risk the consequences of willfully violating immigration rules, especially around this. I'm sure they are looking for a few folks to make a public example of to deter this kind of behavior.

Is there a Canadian law against going to Mexico?

I don't know the answer to that but having started my own business in 86 I also had to become an importer & spent a lot of time back then at Customs. I learned quite a bit on just how much fun the agents for both Customs & Immigration had "playing the game" with people trying different stories on where they'd been, what they bought etc. They proved to be pretty darned smart & that's before the digital age we're now in. Back then I spent hours filling out the import / duties forms & seeing / listening to what went on around me. I did those trips weekly in 3 of our 4 seasons & bi weekly in winter & the most important thing I learned from it is be honest from the start or get ready to spend a lot of extra time there. My guess is no it's not against the law but it wasn't where you actually went if you're claiming you visited the US & just the US.

My guess is no it's not against the law but it wasn't where you actually went if you're claiming you visited the US & just the US.

And he never said you should lie. When they ask you tell the truth, you went to Mexico and the US.

You are the one trying to make it into a bigger deal than it is.

We can still get to Mexico, just not on a Canadian carrier. I see flights on mexican and us carriers out of YVR. I can also fly to a US hub then fly to Mexico.

Upon my return i have to get tested while being quarantined in an approved hotel, if I'm negative i get to self isolate at home if personal logistics allow, if I’m positive i have to go to a government quarantine centre-that’s the unknown to me.

I so badly want to travel but I won’t.

Back
Top Bottom