Can you reissue PADI certification card without instructor name on it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of my cards have the instructor's name who taught the course. I never thought about getting a new card for a course I've already taken that now would have a different instructor's name on it. I'm confused.
That’s because what the OP is asking is not a “thing”. No agency that I can think of does anything like what he’s asking for.

Just scratch the offending name off of it. Use an abrasive eraser, something we used to call an "ink eraser".

No one really looks that hard at them anyway, if at all.

I might hold off before throwing it out after getting (e.g.) a "higher" certification (like Rescue). If you later go on, you might be asked to produce records of ALL prior certifications.

. If you later go on, you might be asked to produce records of ALL prior certifications.

I could understand that for rescue (since it’s a different cert vice a higher cert)....but I couldn’t imagine anyone asking for cards for every certification you’ve ever had...particularly if the card is subordinate to the card you are presenting. As an example , if you go to instructor training, and your highest certainty are full cave and full trimix...I doubt very highly they are going to need a copy of your AOW or nitrox certs...and if they do demand it...go find another IT or CD that has a working brain.

I could understand that for rescue (since it’s a different cert vice a higher cert)....but I couldn’t imagine anyone asking for cards for every certification you’ve ever had...particularly if the card is subordinate to the card you are presenting. As an example , if you go to instructor training, and your highest certainty are full cave and full trimix...I doubt very highly they are going to need a copy of your AOW or nitrox certs...and if they do demand it...go find another IT or CD that has a working brain.

I had to show OW, AOW, and Rescue (all 3) to start Divemaster. The paperwork for Divemaster certification has blanks for the instructor to sign off for all 3. Not sure why you'd need that if all you had to do was show Rescue. Seems redundant. Not sure if it's a local decision, but a couple of IDC's I've looked at state that you need to bring all prior cards with you.

However, you're right I don't mean (nor do I think the IDC's mean) ALL certs. Just those prerequisite to a higher level. I don't think PADI (e.g) requires you to show your "Fish Identification" card to get Rescue certified just because you happen to have it in your wallet.

Not arguing this is logical: If you have Rescue, presumably you also have OW and AOW. Maybe for folks like me that got OW, AOW, and Rescue from 3 different agencies? If I some how talked my way into one of these, it's possible I never really did the former. (E.g., YMCA OW divers certified prior to 1984 are out of luck if they lose their c-card, apparently. "Gee, I was YMCA certified in 1983 and Bill over here has been my buddy for YEARS and will vouch for me. Can I take AOW with you?)

If you have Rescue, presumably you also have OW and AOW.

AOW isn’t a prerequisite for Rescue AFAIK. Thus it would make sense to ask for rescue and AOW cards. If you had shown up for DM training with an Advanced Trimix card, they conceivably could justify asking for your rescue card...since it’s not a given that you have taken it (not a prerequisite for tech training).

So..., what happened in the AOW class that made you hate the instructor so much?

I had to show OW, AOW, and Rescue (all 3) to start Divemaster.

This reinforces my decision not going for DM. For whatever reason, my OW information (with PADI) is not recoverable. I went to the same dive shop for my Rescue Diver, and they couldn't find my info. When I got my AOW (instructor now retired), I got rid of my OW card. I have no idea what misspelling occurred, but the OW information is missing. With an AOW instructor being retired, I have no idea how I would get his signature. The rescue diver instructor is pretty young. I would guess that I would be long gone from this earth before he retires.

I had to show OW, AOW, and Rescue (all 3) to start Divemaster. The paperwork for Divemaster certification has blanks for the instructor to sign off for all 3. Not sure why you'd need that if all you had to do was show Rescue. Seems redundant. Not sure if it's a local decision, but a couple of IDC's I've looked at state that you need to bring all prior cards with you.

However, you're right I don't mean (nor do I think the IDC's mean) ALL certs. Just those prerequisite to a higher level. I don't think PADI (e.g) requires you to show your "Fish Identification" card to get Rescue certified just because you happen to have it in your wallet.

Not arguing this is logical: If you have Rescue, presumably you also have OW and AOW. Maybe for folks like me that got OW, AOW, and Rescue from 3 different agencies? If I some how talked my way into one of these, it's possible I never really did the former. (E.g., YMCA OW divers certified prior to 1984 are out of luck if they lose their c-card, apparently. "Gee, I was YMCA certified in 1983 and Bill over here has been my buddy for YEARS and will vouch for me. Can I take AOW with you?)
Interesting that you say DM course paperwork requires all 3 instructors to sign. I did have 3 different instructors for OW, AOW and Rescue. OW & Rescue were taken here in N.S. (which is where I did my DM course), but I did my AOW in Destin, Florida. How would they get that instructor's signature on a form?
Well, I know how they would get it--scan, fax or even good old snail mail. But would any PADI shop actually do that as long as you have Rescue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom