Can you reissue PADI certification card without instructor name on it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The PADI DM application paperwork does not require all three instructors to sign the form. It requires the Student Number for PADI AOW, PADI Rescue, and EFR.
The only signature required, other than the candidate's, is the certifying instructor for the DM course.

I could understand that for rescue (since it’s a different cert vice a higher cert)....but I couldn’t imagine anyone asking for cards for every certification you’ve ever had...particularly if the card is subordinate to the card you are presenting. As an example , if you go to instructor training, and your highest certainty are full cave and full trimix...I doubt very highly they are going to need a copy of your AOW or nitrox certs...and if they do demand it...go find another IT or CD that has a working brain.
Certainly agree. But, when I moved to New Brunswick to teach (Canada, not NJ), already with my Masters in tow, the Ed. Dept. required a copy of my Bachelors Degree and my HIGH SCHOOL transcript from Yonkers, NY. I had to go to the old school 10 years later to get it. That was just weird.

I had to go to the old school 10 years later to get it.
Well, you look a little sketchy, if you know what I mean! :D :D :D

AOW isn’t a prerequisite for Rescue AFAIK. Thus it would make sense to ask for rescue and AOW cards. If you had shown up for DM training with an Advanced Trimix card, they conceivably could justify asking for your rescue card...since it’s not a given that you have taken it (not a prerequisite for tech training).
Correct, AOW is not a prereq for Rescue, however Adventure diver with the Underwater Nav adventure dive IS a prereq. Since almost no one gets the Adventure Diver cert, AOW is a convenient substitute that supercedes Adventure Diver and always includes Underwater Nav.

Correct, AOW is not a prereq for Rescue, however Adventure diver with the Underwater Nav adventure dive IS a prereq. Since almost no one gets the Adventure Diver cert, AOW is a convenient substitute that supercedes Adventure Diver and always includes Underwater Nav.

Maybe at a PADI shop...

Certainly agree. But, when I moved to New Brunswick to teach (Canada, not NJ), already with my Masters in tow, the Ed. Dept. required a copy of my Bachelors Degree and my HIGH SCHOOL transcript from Yonkers, NY. I had to go to the old school 10 years later to get it. That was just weird.
...well, Canadians are weird...nice usually. But weird.

I imagine another instructor could submit new paperwork under their name. There would be a fee, it is PADI.
Even if PADI can/will do it - which I have no idea - I'm thinking a random instructor wouldn't want to do this without at least checking someone out, as they would be taking responsibility for someone they had nothing to do with training? (Unfortunately having a card doesn't always mean someone can dive all that well.)

If the OP must, I'd opt for talking a different class that gets you additional training and a new card that will do what you need. But I still wouldn't throw away your original AOW card. Rescue is a good idea, but a Rescue card doesn't prove you have AOW, you might just have Adventure Diver without having done the deep dive - and one reason ops want to see an AOW card is for a deep dive, so they might give you grief on the technicality. As long as they have internet access a PADI shop can look up your AOW online, so maybe you could get away without carrying the "evil" card. (I don't think NAUI Rescue proves you have AOW either.)

I may be way off base but the name of the instructor on the card could be a purely personal issue. It may be a reminder of one of those things that happen when an instructor decides to take advantage of the student in some way. Or is an ex-partner who would be better forgotten and ceased to exist in a way that reminds the person of them.

Seeing the SOB's name every time you pull the card out could be painful. I know if I had to one of my ex-wives names on my card or that of an instructor that soaked someone for a bundle in useless gear, I'd not want their name on the card.
Having worked with people who were abused by someone in some way, I don't underestimate the recurring trauma a name can bring.

Especially seeing it in print. IMO, throw the card away, burn it, shred it, etc. If you have a higher cert rating it's pretty meaningless anyway as far as getting to dive. Unless you go to get nitrox with a full trimix card and the shop won't give you a fill without the nitrox card as happened to a member here.

Back
Top Bottom