Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are mine ... but it's because I went hiking in boots that were too small ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:eek:uch:!!! That hurts . . .

So if I am able to dive, but am diagnosed with being over weight, would you carry my gear?

No. Being fat is just a self inflicted problem and one you could solve. No chance. In fact the exercise would probably do some good.

No. Being fat is just a self inflicted problem and one you could solve. No chance. In fact the exercise would probably do some good.

so a medical condition that cause me to metablize food to slow thus making me obese isn't a medical condition in your eyes? and I should just go out for a run?

skuba_girl, You must throw a heck of a party! Judging by this thread you sure know how to get a conversation started!:D

Hello everyone! The few that know me know I'm a lurker here. I also have a butt load of dives (and I'm an instructor) so occasionally I feel strong enough about a subject where I have a "NEED" to post.

That being said...

Are you a vacation diver? Do you 'expect' someone to carry all of your gear...babysit you underwater (not just be a buddy), are you just not sure of normal boat ettiqutte, does your car/suv/truck smell like anything other than moldy scuba gear?

Ok....IF you answered YES to any of the above...you have no business putting yourself on a boat 'assuming' someone will take care of you. Unless you have paid (dearly) to a licensed DM for personal assistance DO NOT go on a charter assuming your buddy will do all of this for you. Sure, I've done it...and will do it on occasion for a regular dive buddy, who I know does not expect it from me or anyone else, just being nice.

IF you are not experienced enough(be honest with yourself..or ask me..I'm not shy..I'll tell you straight up), have ongoing health issues, or are for whatever reason you feel 'dependent' on others for you to have a good dive...the best possible solution would be for you to ONLY dive on larger boats, and hire a DM for your personal assistance. Your friends DO NOT want to carry your gear (yes ladies that means you too) They are there to enjoy diving..not spend their day worried about if YOU can finish the dive...or the day.

So...before you go diving...
After your gear check...
ask yourself...

-Can I haul my gear ALONE to the charter(tanks included)? Back to your car after the dive?
-Can I haul my butt out of the water alone if the conditions get ugly (or even if they are mild)?
-Could I rescue myself?
-Will my buddy feel safe with me as their buddy?
-Would you feel good about yourself putting someone elses life at risk just because you are too dependent?

If you could not answer ALL of the questions with YES, then you need to rethink any diving without being under the direct supervision of a paid DM or INSTRUCTOR. (no solicitation implied)

Your friends and associates are not there to hold your hand. They had to do it themselves...so should you.

You could very possibly be ruining someones fun insuring your own.
WOW!! when I first started reading this I thought it was going to be comical . ya know making a joke. But wow your damned serious!!
first and foremost PAMMIE(aka betty rubble) I love you more and more because you said everything that I feel!! I am a new diver and My Fiance is a more experienced diver and he helps me. he helps me with the tanks,with my profile and keeps an eye on me in the water BUT I also haul my tanks, help with figuring out the profile and watch him in the water too. I also have friends who would help me in a heartbeat (as I would help them). they know I am new and they know I wish to learn and improve so they are there for me..............Im wondering how many buddies (or friends) you will have left after your holier than thou post

I must disagree with you there.
Every diver should be reasonably skilled, experienced at and trained to the level they are diving, reasonably intelligent, physically capable in the water, and evironmentally considerate.

Environmentally considerate, sure. It wasn't in my original post as I wasn't addressing those type of issues. That's not specific to diving, though. It's a general requirement as a human being.

I don't want to dive with those that don't have those qualities, and I choose not to. It's their choice and it's mine. It's also the choice of the operators who take their money to provide the guided opportunity.

I understand the sentiments, but I'm at a loss why people think they should be able to dictate what others do and determine their safety for them. Why do you think you should determine that "someone shouldn't be diving". Are you also going to say that they can't go rock climbing if they don't meet your standards of safety and skill? Snow skiing would also have to go on the list. Maybe skateboarding?

Do we need these rules for diving? I'm not entirely certain. If somebody wants to strap on a tank to get golf balls at the local greens and dies in the process I just don't think we can or should make rules for that stuff.

so a medical condition that cause me to metablize food to slow thus making me obese isn't a medical condition in your eyes? and I should just go out for a run?

:no: FACT: If calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight.
Source: National Geographic magazine, Aug 2004, "Why are we so fat?", no longer available online without a fee but synopsized in Iron Magazine at Why Are We So Fat? The Real Reason For The Obesity Epidemic

The Nat Geo debunked all the myths . . .
"The conclusions made in the National Geographic article on the other hand, are refreshing, because they are the right ones, and the most obvious ones: The reason we are so fat is because we eat too much and exercise too little."

Last edited by a moderator:
:no: FACT: If calories in is less than calories out, you will lose weight.
Source: National Geographic magazine, Aug 2004, "Why are we so fat?", no longer available online without a fee but synopsized in Iron Magazine at Why Are We So Fat? The Real Reason For The Obesity Epidemic

The Nat Geo debunked all the myths . . .
"The conclusions made in the National Geographic article on the other hand, are refreshing, because they are the right ones, and the most obvious ones: The reason we are so fat is because we eat too much and exercise too little."

While you calories in, calories out statement is true, you do not account for metabolism. Some people, myself include, are more likely to gain weight than others even given the same input and output. I have to make an effort to control my weight, while my brother is a rail and eats a ton. Some engines are more efficient than others. I have adjusted my lifestyle to eat less, exercise more and it does work. I am down 50lbs, but it is much more difficult for me than other people.

While I believe more American obesity is because of an unbalance caloric equaztion, obesity can be a medical condition not just related to being lazy and over eating, like poor LetterBoy suffers.

And while the link you provide mentions a National Geographic article, it is actually an enticement for a book.

My wife has fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrom. Thus she has an inability to move enough to count as an exercise. Hence she is also overweight.

Hence I disagree with your assessment.

I'd also query whether its safe for someone suffering from that to be diving at all.

Really if you're unable to move around your own gear why do you expect someone else to do it for you? General rule is you dive it, you carry it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom