Can You Reach Your Tank Valve During a Dive?

Are you able to turn your own tank valve during a dive?

• Yes

Votes: 183 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 18.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aedavidson:
I can in my probe no problem. Not sure why you would not be able to in a bc but can in a bp/w. I am sure that I am in the minority but dive both and like my probe.

Plug here for the Oceanic Chutes. Nice rig for BC.

aedavidson:
I am sure that I am in the minority but dive both and like my probe.

i loved my Oceanic Probe too (a somewhat ill-starred name... my wife LOVED
to make fun of me when i told her what it was called... but i digress)

the thing with the Probe was that when it came to cavern diving, it fought
me all the time. if i so much as blinked, it had me feet low and head high...

so... after my switch to bp/wings, i just figured i'd sell the Probe and move on

I can, but I have to wonder how many of those who said "Not in my drysuit" really have plenty of flexibility in the suit, but not enough in the undergarment.

duckster3d:
would not advise trying this with a single with one reg, and can understand why anyone would
Why not? You don't actually ever let go of the valve between shutting it off and turning it an, and you only do it with your buddy after giving the "You watch me valve drill, OK?" signals.

Then again, maybe I'm just crazy. :)

No problem with doubles or singles. In fact just got done with a night dive 30 min. ago and just checked to see if I had my single setup right before I went in. I can also reach my 13 cft pony I hang it upside down so its easy to reach.

ShakaZulu:
I don't think anyone using a BC would be able to do this, unless it's very loose fiting and they can drag it closer by the hose.
Huh? I have no problem at all reaching the valve on a single tank with my SeaQuest ProQD BCD. Since I can also reach it while standing on the boat, having it loose fitting would only make that more difficult.

Uncle Pug:
How many of you folks using BDCs can reach your valve standing up (out of the water)? Just curious.

Not a chance. In the water, yes...but not standing out of the water. One of the many reasons there is a bp/w in my very near future.

JT

ShakaZulu:
.... Now, for those with BP, it shouldn't be a problem. I wonder why I would want to turn it off if I'm diving singles though?

I believe you would turn off your single if cold water free flow had occurred. You would breathe from your buddies donated reg while yours thawed.

It's not my undergarment, and it may not be my dry suit. Both were checked during Fundies. I think it's the way my harness is webbed, and I'm going to fix that tomorrow and see if it does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom