Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a 3 mil, with an Al80, I can do it without much trouble.

In my dry suit, with my 95s, it involves unbuckling the waistband, shoving the tank up and to the right, and filling the dry suit with enough air to make me pretty wobbly. With Peter's HP100s, it's easier, because the valve is different, but it's still a challenge. There's no way I could turn my valve on fast enough if I jumped in the water with my air off. For that reason, I am religious about making sure I don't jump in the water with my air off and that my wing is fairly full when I make that jump. I haven't had the opportunity to do a hot drop yet, but that would make me even more paranoid.

When I saw this thread topic I figured it would be biased with the "can-do" divers.

I too am dry suit challenged but working to improve.

Pete

pilot fish:
Are you able to reach behind you UW and turn your tank on if it was off? Is that a skill we should practice? Have you ever practiced that skill?
Yes. Yes. Yes. In that order.

I've found I can reach it more easily with my elbow pointed straight ahead than with my elbow pointed to the side.

I can reach and manipulate my tank valves. I don't dive in a drysuit. But I always breathe and check both regs before entry while watching my pressure gauge. I even give my wings a little squeeze since I made an entry with a wing that had a loose inflator hose valve. I could swim my rig up and my buddy fixed it underwater so it was no biggie.

In doubles it's cake. Singles with a STA takes a little more effort. I always try to place my tanks so that I can reach the valves. Seeing divers with their tank boots about to touch the backs of their knees and no hope of getting to the valve is my pet peeve.

Keeping your elbow in (as in straight in front of you, nearer your head) as opposed to out (at a ninety degree angle to the direction you're facing) helps get a few extra inches of reach.

Good luck, I think being able to reach your valve is important.

Adam

Edit: MSilvia beat me to it while I was posting, and was more concise about it.

Yes, I can reach my single's valve in 3 mm and 5 mm wetsuits as well as my drysuit. I can also reach the valves on my doubles in all three suits. I believe that it is a skill that should be practiced.

I found that it was interesting that I was in a class last week and the instructor asked what would you do if your valve was not turned on or at least not completely. I said, "reach back and turn it on". I was the only person in the class that indicated that they could turn on their valves (by themselves). The standard answer was to get your buddy to turn it on (yeah right! Never trust another for something you should be able to do yourself.) The instructor even admitted that while she used to be able to manipulate her valves as she has gotten older she no longer has the mobility to do so.

I had difficulties, until I read this tip. When reaching for your valve, tip your head backwards, instead most of us tend to put our chins to our chests when reaching behind our heads. This made a world of differences to me.

Back
Top Bottom