Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never tried because I religeously take a test breath from my regulator before jumping off the boat. It's a skill I will definately try in two weeks. Thanks for the tip.

pilot fish:
Are you able to reach behind you UW and turn your tank on if it was off? Is that a skill we should practice? Have you ever practiced that skill?

I tried it on one dive last week by pushing up on the bottom of my tank but the best I could do was reach the knob with my finger tips. I could not get a firm grip on the knob to turn it on. I feel I MIGHT have been able to do it eventually but I would think that is something that needs to be done real fast. Should we practice that?

Yes I can, and I almost got to do it for real this past weekend, but my dive buddy got it for me. She remembered me saying about turning it off until getting in the water. When I got in, she reminded me! If she hadn't remembered, I would have found out pretty quick!

And, oh, by the way, I HAD taken a test breath already, the residual air in the hose let me do that, so don't rely on taking a breath to remind you, it might not work.

Ken

Are you able to reach behind you UW and turn your tank on if it was off? Is that a skill we should practice? Have you ever practiced that skill?
Absolutely, yes. It is easier if one is consistently horizontal in the water column, so gravity is not working against you. Single tank is more challenging, but it just takes practice and correct tank positioning.

I tried it on one dive last week by pushing up on the bottom of my tank but the best I could do was reach the knob with my finger tips. I could not get a firm grip on the knob to turn it on.
1. Try getting horizontal, (... and yes, I mean prone rather than supine.:14: )
2. Pull your right elbow in to the center of your chest.
3. Put your right palm against your right ear.
3. Push your right hand straight back to your valve and tilt your head back as you go. Grab the valve and learn to manipulate it.

If you can't reach your valve and turn it, reposition your tank during the surface interval and try again until you can. Will the valve possible touch the back of your head when you tilt your head straight back? Yes. I like breathing so much that I consider this a fair trade, and have learned to turn my head without hitting the valve... much.

You might also consider turning your tank slightly, so the valve knob is pointing about 20 degrees forward, rather that parallel to your shoulders. It shortens that reach by a couple of centimeters. (Thanks to Tobin for that useful tip!)

The day some boat DM turns my tank valve the wrong way without my knowledge, right before I giant stride out the gate, I'll be very glad for the correct tank positioning and the practice.

I feel I MIGHT have been able to do it eventually but I would think that is something that needs to be done real fast.
Depends on how long you are comfortable holding your breath. :D Less than a minute would seem logical. Faster is better. Calm and efficient is the best.

Should we practice that?
Human error being what it is... uhm, "human",... I believe it's an essential skill. I like breathing.

Good question :)

Claudette

Notso_Ken:
Yes I can, and I almost got to do it for real this past weekend, but my dive buddy got it for me. She remembered me saying about turning it off until getting in the water. When I got in, she reminded me! If she hadn't remembered, I would have found out pretty quick!

And, oh, by the way, I HAD taken a test breath already, the residual air in the hose let me do that, so don't rely on taking a breath to remind you, it might not work.

Ken

Do the test breathes ( more than one ) while watching your SPG. You should see the needle bounce and then go to empty.

JRScuba:
Do the test breathes ( more than one ) while watching your SPG. You should see the needle bounce and then go to empty.

And breathe your octo too. No one pays enough attention to their secondary air sources. You don't want a problem when you need it.

Very useful advice here. Thanks. I will try to do some of the positons mentioned,
1-tilt head back,
2-reach back with elbow straight, not out to the side,
3-during set up, turn knob a bit forward 20% to 30% to shorten the reach.
4- use free hand to push up on your elbow of arm reaching back to tank knob

I can see that some of your great suggestions would make it a bit easier to reach that valve, but practice is essential. One thing I notice while diving last week. When someone else sets your gear up, turns your air on, then off, they do not bleed the reg so air would still be in the line and that would make you THINK your air is on if you took a breath or two. I had not thought of that till I read some of the good posts in this thread. That's one more thing to look out for, and why I like to set my own gear up.

I don't mind DMs setting my gear up, but I ALWAYS check and double check and reconfigure. The convenience of having you gear set up is only the tank switch. It doesn't mean you step off the boat without doing your check and the buddy checks.

pilot fish:
When someone else sets your gear up, turns your air on, then off, they do not bleed the reg so air would still be in the line and that would make you THINK your air is on if you took a breath or two.

Always watch your SPG while taking those breaths and you won't make that oversight. Do this regardless of who sets up your gear.

I was finally able to do it in a single after buying a custom drysuit for just that reason. Much easier in doubles (although a bit more difficult for the left post).

It's good to be able to do. In a single it's about turning the valve on. In doubles it's about getting them off.

dherbman:
Always watch your SPG while taking those breaths and you won't make that oversight. Do this regardless of who sets up your gear.

That's fine if it's all the way off. However if the valve is open just a little the reg may breath fine and the needle may not bounce at the surface. Once you get some depth, though the breathing may get harder and then that needle is bouncing.

I do a modified valve drill (reach back to make sure I can reach and that every valve is in the correct position) prior to every single descent.

You should also, of course, make sure the reg breaths ok and you should do a negative pressure check to make sure you'll get air and not water when you breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom