Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
It's good to be able to do. In a single it's about turning the valve on. In doubles it's about getting them off.

Come back and say that after having one roll off. It's best to be able to turn them on and off without taking too much time about it.

MikeFerrara:
Come back and say that after having one roll off. It's best to be able to turn them on and off without taking too much time about it.
OK, I stand corrected.

My routine is to gear up with the valve(s) shut, try both regulators to see if the exhaust valves are seating and then open the valve(s) and take a few breaths.

Yes, easily with a 3 mm wetsuit... Tougher with a 2 pc 7 wetsuit.. Tank positioning is key..

Yes, it should be practiced...

xiSkiGuy:
In doubles it's cake. Singles with a STA takes a little more effort. I always try to place my tanks so that I can reach the valves. Seeing divers with their tank boots about to touch the backs of their knees and no hope of getting to the valve is my pet peeve.

If I place tank high enough to reach valve, I go inverted. So I place tank lower. Perfect trim but can't reach valve. Moved tank back up and bought ankle weights. Ankle weights are a pet peeve for some people too. Last I heard, he who has ankle weights lacks talent. So where do we place the tanks?

My opinion is, be able to reach the valve first. Then fix your trim. Add a couple of pounds to your weight belt, get a longer tank, wear ankle weights, buy more negative fins, whatever. Be able to reach your valves.

TheRedHead:
... I always breathe and check both regs before entry while watching my pressure gauge.
When I first set my rig up, I turn on the valve and check pressure and fittings. I dont turn it off again. I figure if I have a slow leak it will show on the surface, a much better place to discover leaks, IMO. I did have a DM or someone turn a valve off for me once. I didnt see this happen, but it was off just prior to entry. Therefore, I am very diligent to ... Just before entry in I inflate the BC while watching the gauge and I take a couple of breaths off each reg while watching the gauge.

TheRedHead:
I don't mind DMs setting my gear up, but I ALWAYS check and double check and reconfigure.
Very good point. They almost always set my tank way too low for me. I readjust and recheck.

FWIW, I was diving with a buddy whose valve was on about halfway. It breathed fine in the shallows but was not performing at depth. He thought he had a failure of some kind, but a check of the valve and opening fully solved the problem.

I am working on the skill to turn off/on my own valve on a single while underwater, not there yet. Thanks to all for the great advice.

Willie

I'm stupified on why you would need to reach your tank valve to turn it on.

First, it should be part of your buddy check.

Second, you should have a bit of air in your BCD before getting in the water.

Third, if your air isn't on, and you get in the water, you should still be able to fin towards the surface if you aren't ridiculously overweighted.

Fourth, you can still orally inflate your BCD until your buddy can help you turn your valve on.

All this talk on it being absolutely necessary to be able to turn off your valve seems odd. Note that I'm talking singles here, and not doubles.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
I'm stupified on why you would need to reach your tank valve to turn it on.

First, it should be part of your buddy check.

Second, you should have a bit of air in your BCD before getting in the water.

Third, if your air isn't on, and you get in the water, you should still be able to fin towards the surface if you aren't ridiculously overweighted.

Fourth, you can still orally inflate your BCD until your buddy can help you turn your valve on.

All this talk on it being absolutely necessary to be able to turn off your valve seems odd. Note that I'm talking singles here, and not doubles.

- ChillyWaters

How about this one: You're at 80' and you get an uncontrollable free flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom