Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters,

Why carry valve manipulation skills in your tool kit?

Because you may have to use it one day to allow you to breath underwater. Makes surfacing so much easier.

Diver jumps in with air off. Starts descent. When he goes to take breath - nothing. Immediately attempts to ditch weight belt, but it doesn't release. It's partially jammed. Remember, this is already not a good day. This is an accident in progress. Stress level just took another major jolt up, beyond an already elevated level. He instinctively begins finning up while fidgeting with weight belt ........... Will finning overcome increasing negative momentum? Will he release belt? .... In time? ......Will this be sufficient? Will he panic? We could also add will he successfully manipulate valve or just waist time trying?

Air supply equals breathing underwater, equals life, equals less stress, equalls clearer thinking leading to better decisions, equals a greater chance to safely surface again.

Valve manipulation provides the option of turning on and using gas supply when off. This can stave off all sorts of further complications. It's impact in breaking the chain of unfolding, and potentially developing events, is probably as good or greater than any other option available in such a scenerio. Breaking the chain of events can not be overemphasized as one of, or the most critical action to take during an unfolding accident. Valve manipulation also provides the option of extending a fast depleting gas supply, as in the case of reg. free flow, amongst other possibilities. However, in single tank rec diving this should not be attempted unless one is very skilled at this. A controlled ascent or rapid ascent, depending on remaining air and depth, is likely easier with less potential negative consequences, in the event a buddy is not at hand.

For most divers most of the time - NOTHING, is likely to have as intense a negative impact as not being able to inhale air underwater. A skill able to facilitate the use of the most important resource a diver carries underwater, in addition to potentially facilitating the ability to extend this precious resource long enough to safely reach the surface, while staving panic away and reducing stress, is hardly a frivolous tool, or one too many in my tool kit, for me. How about you? Also consider that with a single tank and no buddy around, this skill can give you something no other tool in your kit can - air.

I understand and agree with your point about the need to prioritize the tools we use, and our ability to effectively utilize only a limited number of tools. I disagree on the lack of priority, usefulness, and ease of implementation in our tool kit you appear to assign this tool.

But of couse, diving is suppose to be fun. When the fun stops many don't ditch weights, so they probably wouldn't turn valve on either. Although possibly the link to turn air on is more direct than the link to ditch weights or swim up to surface. This is speculation, but air is a direct connection, it's the only game underwater. It's important to know what you have available at any one time and how to use it, not just how to escape.

An additional benefit to this skill would be proper tank placement improving trim for many divers. Or they can just learn to reach low behind their back. lol

Naturally. some divers will have difficulty exercising this skill due to physical limitations. Nevertheless, it's important to know it is an option available in extreme cases, even if considered only an option of last resort, even if it means taking your rig off.

Scuba:
Why carry valve manipulation skills in your tool kit? ...

Thank you for the reply. It is good to see someone put much thought into their post. I respect any such replies, whether or not I agree with the content.

While I may not agree with everything you said, you make me think about a few things.

I would say more, but after 17 pages, I'm done on this topic...

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
- ChillyWaters

Great! Now, let's talk about that reg retrieval skill. :D

dherbman:
Great! Now, let's talk about that reg retrieval skill. :D

Still having problems that?

I'm rethinking my entire skill set after this thread. I'm thinking along the lines of why should I retrieve my own reg when I can have my buddy do it for me? Hey, he can even put it in my mouth and purge it for me. Maybe I'll just find a dive nanny.

dherbman:
Maybe I'll just find a dive nanny.

You've got lots of volunteers. :wink:

Seriously, why are we not taught to deploy the safe second rather than blowing blubbles while fumbling around trying to find the primary?

I think it is a throw back to the days where there was no SS, but I agree with you. We teach primary retrieval, but there's nothing I'm aware of that states you can't go to your SS while doing the retrieval.

People have made CESAs because they lost their reg and couldn't retrieve it before they panicked and bolted. I've read about that here.

- ChillyWaters]]]]]]]]]

After many posts in 17 pages you have still not seen the wisdom of tank knob manipulation? Thoughtful, well detailed reasons by experienced divers and instructors and you are still holding that opinion?

dherbman:
I'm rethinking my entire skill set after this thread. I'm thinking along the lines of why should I retrieve my own reg when I can have my buddy do it for me? Hey, he can even put it in my mouth and purge it for me. Maybe I'll just find a dive nanny.

Yeah, but, um, what if your dive buddy doesn't know how to do that?

Back
Top Bottom