Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Second look. You donate primary, which is on the left at the end of long hose, facing pic, and you use the one under your chin, which is octo? Is that right?

Yes, although some people question whether it should be called an octo or a backup, since, to them (and maybe others) "octo" implies that it'll be donated.

TSandM:
One of the reasons I really like the donate primary/bungied secondary configuration is that, if I lose my reg for any reason, I've got another one right under my chin. Furthermore, because of the air share practice I do, I really KNOW it's right under my chin -- this is information that would be in the front of my mind in any reg loss situation. I was thinking about that as I watched my husband's fin come straight for my face at one point last night . . . :)

I had an experience where I got tossed by some surf on exit, and at some point my face went to the sand and it knocked my reg out and my mask askew. Now I was being tossed six ways simultaneously, so I didn't even bother trying to find it - I just reached down to my bungeed backup below my chin and put it in. There was not even a moment where I was concerned, and in fact I spent the next second or so tumbling thinking "That's a REALLY good place to keep the backup!" as I put my mask back in place.

radinator:
I had an experience where I got tossed by some surf on exit, and at some point my face went to the sand and it knocked my reg out and my mask askew. Now I was being tossed six ways simultaneously, so I didn't even bother trying to find it - I just reached down to my bungeed backup below my chin and put it in. There was not even a moment where I was concerned, and in fact I spent the next second or so tumbling thinking "That's a REALLY good place to keep the backup!" as I put my mask back in place.

Thanks, neophyte and radinator. I see where one might question what to call it, octo or backup. From your story I can see how you remained calm, it was right there for you. That is one reason I like my air2, my alternate reg is also right there under my chin, although a bit further down than the bungee. It looks like someting to investigate.

Are there any significant negatives to the long hose, bungee setup?

pilot fish:
Are there any significant negatives to the long hose, bungee setup?
Pretty far off topic, but.....

It provides your enemies a means to choke the life out of you.

Seriously, I switched over a few months ago. After training and working with it, the only problem I've experienced is attitude from some divers. My confidence iI have made the right choice is strengthened each time I watch students do OOA ascent drills with an octo or AIRII.

It takes a little managing, as my Fundies instructor put it. If you use a 7' hose, you have to have someplace to tuck or confine the excess. Before I had a can light (and when I don't use one) I tuck it into my waistband, but it routes better if there is something on your right hip to tuck it under. You have to make sure the primary and secondary hoses aren't twisted around each other when you gear up. You have to find a way to roll up the long hose when you aren't wearing the rig, so it doesn't catch on stuff (this is particularly important on boats). You have to remember to take the necklaced secondary off before you try to get out of the rig :)

The advantages of the setup -- easy air-sharing, immediate and confident access to the secondary, constant monitoring of the secondary for freeflow or problems, no entanglement issues because the secondary doesn't come loose and hang down -- so far outweigh the things you have to learn to use it that even my anti-DIR husband has adopted the configuration, although he uses the 5' hose, which doesn't require a can light or waistband tuck.

dherbman:
Pretty far off topic, but.....

It provides your enemies a means to choke the life out of you.

Seriously, I switched over a few months ago. After training and working with it, the only problem I've experienced is attitude from some divers. My confidence iI have made the right choice is strengthened each time I watch students do OOA ascent drills with an octo or AIRII.

What training is involved in using it preoperly? Seems a simple reconfiguration of your gear? Not so sure I'd like that long hose around my neck. Would it make you claustrophobic?

Could you explain that last part " right choice is strengthened each time I watch students do OOA ascent drills with an octo or AIRII"]] dherman

pilot fish:
What training is involved in using it preoperly? Seems a simple reconfiguration of your gear? Not so sure I'd like that long hose around my neck. Would it make you claustrophobic?

Could you explain that last part " right choice is strengthened each time I watch students do OOA ascent drills with an octo or AIRII"]] dherman
Did you ever have that dinner with Jonny? He could explain it all to you very well....it's how he dives. For the rest there must be a ton of threads on the board covering the topic. Be warned though - not everyone sees it the same way, so often they've been quite lively! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom