Can you reach your tank knob to turn it on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we'll type slower. :wink:

Well, maybe if someone would give a few reasons when it is necessary. I've told you how all situations that have been prescribed already can be dealt easily with the basic skills we have all learned in OW training.

It is important to reach the valves when underwater. It is necessary to turn on the valve so that the diver can breathe. If something were to turn off the valve such as the friendly DM, a mermaid, or an obstruction in the water column it would be important to be able to breathe without making a direct ascent. There are also alot of divers that jump in before turning on the valve. If these divers could reach the valve then they would not have to start rejecting equipment and dropping weights. As another person mentioned, freeflows can be resolved in this manner and alot of gas can be saved.

Now as to the original post... I can reach it in a single setup. Adjusting the position of the bcd to the tank can help adjust the distance that is required to reach the valve. As a starting point, I line up the very top of the bcd wing with the tank valve before strapping it on. You can test your ability to reach it on the surface by laying flat. It is easier to do underwater.

The question should have been, Can you reach your BUDDY'S tank knob to turn it on?

Notso_Ken:
Yes I can, and I almost got to do it for real this past weekend, but my dive buddy got it for me. She remembered me saying about turning it off until getting in the water. When I got in, she reminded me! If she hadn't remembered, I would have found out pretty quick!

And, oh, by the way, I HAD taken a test breath already, the residual air in the hose let me do that, so don't rely on taking a breath to remind you, it might not work.

Ken

If you look at your SPG when taking a test breath, the needle will wobble or drop, indicating that your air might be off.

You should still be able to reach valves tho.

aboalreem:
The question should have been, Can you reach your BUDDY'S tank knob to turn it on?

Great question, you should start your own thread asking just that.

do it easy:
I know that when I dive a single tank and drysuit, if I start a dive OOA, that I will be negative around 30'- even WITHOUT weights (don't ask how I know). So, if I splash in with my buddy, but forgot to turn my air on and start to descend, I will have a bit of work to do to get to the surface- either ditch the rig and start swimming, or reach back and turn it on.

I agree that there are good and better ways to deal with problems, but why limit yourself?

That seems odd unless you have a tank that can hold 30 pounds in weight of air, or you have a really compressible drysuit.

You really only "need" to be negative by the amount of buoyancy change you experience during the dive (in a drysuit) which is basically the minimal compression of undergarment, and weight of gas carried, right?

Rick Murchison:
Please, please, please... stay far, far away from technical diving. This is not an idle plea...
Rick

Agreed! My discussion has been focused on recreation diving.

My original rebuttal about it not being a necessary skill on a single tank, well that argument is void for tech divers, as they generally are NOT single tank divers.

I think recreational divers should be focusing on a small set of skills. Tech divers should have a LOT more training, and a LOT more experience. It's a different argument.

- ChillyWaters

Back
Top Bottom