Can you equalize WITHOUT pinching your nose?

Can you equalize without pinching your nose?

• Yes

Votes: 157 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 19.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 78 26.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always equalize without pinching my nose. If I can't do it by wiggling my jaw or lifting the back of my tongue, then the ears just aren't going to clear that day and diving is off.

Yes, after about 10 meters.

Yup, I can. It's hard to describe .. there's no wiggling or swallowing for me. I just flex my inner-ear muscles (I don't know a better way to say it) and they're clear. The coolest part is that it's second nature now, so I don't even have to think about it. I just go down and don't worry about equalizing. When I consciously try to do it, I can hear myself breathing, especially when I breathe through my nose.

Works on planes too...

Yeah, this is exactly how I equalize, but I've found it difficult to get people to understand. I rarely have to pinch my nose or swallow to equalize. It just happens as I descend, as I flex my inner-ear muscles. I love it! :D

The French calls it BTV (Beance Tubaire Volontaire) and their Navy tried to teach it in the 1950s. It is hard to learn though, and only 30% of those taught can perform it reliably. I am less ambitious though, and would be happy if only one benefits from the manual. (see attached pdf) Enjoy!

Attachments

• btv_eng.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 105
I exercise those muscles all the time. I sit at my desk at work and equalize without pinching my nose. It stave's off boredom and I pretend I'm seeing fish.

I can't explain why, but I almost never need to pinch my nose to equalize, or do anything else. My ears seem to be self-equalizing, unless I'm doing something subconsciously that I'm not aware of. It is a rare occasion when I'll consciously do something and I can't remember the last time I had to pinch my nose. Hmmm...

This has been an interesting thread for me to look at, so thanks for all the responses. My last dive I was doing fine with just the swallowing method (or whatever it was I was doing) for the first couple 10s of feet but then I had to pinch a couple of times to get my left ear to clear. I do notice that my left ear (or is it my right?) always seems to clear before the other one does...

Scuba, I can usually equalize all the way to depth by just pushing my jaw forward.

Snorkelling, I have to pinch my nose below about 20 feet.

Back
Top Bottom