Can you equalize WITHOUT pinching your nose?

Can you equalize without pinching your nose?

• Yes

Votes: 157 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 19.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 78 26.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, 98% of the time, sometimes if I have been around dust, had a cold in recent history etc I might need to pinch my nose the first few times. I know, I know, don't care, on those rare occasions I use that 12 hour Afrin spray and then no issues. N

I don't do anything...Mine just do it all on their own. On a rare occasion, if I'm really congested, I have to squeeze, but not normally.

I typically do pinch my nose, but once in a runaway descent, I was so busy trying to stop/ slow myself, I didn't have time. I was very lucky not to have really injured my ears,..... my ears cleared themselves.... thank goodness.

My wife and I are both nose pinchers. I have noticed on a week-long trip it gets easier to equalize as the days pass by. I've tried all the non-pinching techniques and the only one that rarely works is to swallow.

Yup, I can. It's hard to describe .. there's no wiggling or swallowing for me. I just flex my inner-ear muscles (I don't know a better way to say it) and they're clear. The coolest part is that it's second nature now, so I don't even have to think about it. I just go down and don't worry about equalizing. When I consciously try to do it, I can hear myself breathing, especially when I breathe through my nose.

Works on planes too...

It's called voluntary tubal opening. It feels almost like a yawn is starting. It is the preferred method for those who have mastered it.

Yes about 95% of the time for me now. Don't know if large amounts of diving have either helped the muscles or damaged my ears but on most dives now i dont need to pinch my nose. The rare times i do need to do it im normally diving with a bit of congestion whether i realised it or not before hand.

Is it different for you guys underwater versus above? On land (or air) I can equalize no problems without touching my nose. It's when I get underwater I can really only equalize by pinching my nose. Maybe it's because I have a reg in my mouth...I'll try it at home tonight.

I've noticed on my last couple dives, I've been able to equalize by simply swallowing, and haven't needed to pinch my nose and exhale. Other times, I need to pinch like normal, and sometimes I only have to pinch early on, but once I'm deep enough I can just use the swallowing method.

How about you?

Why would my experience change from dive to dive?

When I first started diving I always had to pinch. I use nasal spray (Nasonex) as I have chronic rhinitis due to allergies. I had a deviated septum repaired and that did help a lot as well. As I got more dives in it started to become second nature. I always equalize early and often. If you delay too long, then you may have to pinch to "force" equalization and that's not a good thing. It took me awhile to get it down, it's sort of an art especially for divers like me with problematic e-tubes. But now I find I can pretty much just "swallow" and equalize without pinching. In fact, as I'm sitting here I can swallow and hear the "click" in both ears.

I think Walter had a good point. Maybe that's what I'm doing now without realizing it :confused:

I used to have trouble equalising, but I never really pinched my nose to equalise as I found that this put too much pressure on my ears and hurt, even when I was on the surface. :confused: I tried it occasionally here and there but I always found swallowing or wiggling my jaw to be better, sometimes I had to take my reg out to wiggle my jaw properly (sounds easier to pinch my nose I'm sure, but I hated that way of equalising!)

Actually only about 5 or so dives ago did I discover the 'voluntary tubal opening' method of equalising. If you can wiggle your ears (I can wiggle my ears quite noticeably :p) it is easy as, just do that and your ears will equalise (that is the best way I can think to explain it, maybe others have a better way). I also equalise on the surface a fair bit too, a few times a day when I think about it, and now my equalising issues are pretty much gone :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom