Can you equalize WITHOUT pinching your nose?

Can you equalize without pinching your nose?

• Yes

Votes: 157 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 58 19.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 78 26.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've noticed on my last couple dives, I've been able to equalize by simply swallowing, and haven't needed to pinch my nose and exhale. Other times, I need to pinch like normal, and sometimes I only have to pinch early on, but once I'm deep enough I can just use the swallowing method.

How about you?

Why would my experience change from dive to dive?

I knew a lady in the Philippines who could. But when I jut my jaw forward like I do equalizing when descending in an airplane, my reg falls out of my mouth.

I'm lucky, equalizing is easy for me. I never have to hold my nose. I found what worked for me was to exercise the muscles that are used every day by performing the equalizing action while driving to work, etc. Basically, it's become second nature and I don't even think about it any more.

I can't, but my wife can. She never has to put her hand on her nose the entire dive. I am jealous.

I've noticed on my last couple dives, I've been able to equalize by simply swallowing, and haven't needed to pinch my nose and exhale. Other times, I need to pinch like normal, and sometimes I only have to pinch early on, but once I'm deep enough I can just use the swallowing method.

How about you?

Why would my experience change from dive to dive?

Ditto for me- sometimes I can just wiggle my jaw and tilt my head to the opposite side the ear I want to clear.

It can change dive to dive for many reasons- could just be how your "tubes" are that day- mucus production, inflamation etc.

Always! My right ear will only equalize if I put my tongue against the roof of my mouth and swallow -- no nose pinching needed. :)

sure can, try 'wiggling' your jaw back & forth---in fact just did it sitting here typing.....

Yup, I can. It's hard to describe .. there's no wiggling or swallowing for me. I just flex my inner-ear muscles (I don't know a better way to say it) and they're clear. The coolest part is that it's second nature now, so I don't even have to think about it. I just go down and don't worry about equalizing. When I consciously try to do it, I can hear myself breathing, especially when I breathe through my nose.

Works on planes too...

Back
Top Bottom