Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rolleyes:
Do you tip daily? At the end of the week like in Africa? :)

Africa? Sorta kinda large. Which country? Mali? Gabon? Egypt? Ivory Coast? Zambia? Zimbabwe? Zaire? Ghana? Swaziland? Morocco? Botswana...? They all expect the same tips? :rolleyes:

So a shorty is sufficient?
I use a t-shirt and shorts, but I don't chill easily.

I want to spread the warmth and wealth as much as I can. Do you tip daily? At the end of the week like in Africa? Per drink? What percentage? In pesos or dollars?
Tip how you feel. I tip daily. $10 per tank, usually 15-20% for food/drink. I use pesos for tip as if I recall correctly there can be issues for the locals trying to exchange too much USD at the banks. I'm sure some of the regular residents here can give better insight into that. Oh and take cash if you go to the east (wild) side.

So I have some basic questions for Cozumel - this may be the wrong forum for these. If so I apologize, but you all have been super helpful so I thought I'd ask you. I leave tomorrow for my trip! Yippee! Only my inter-island flight here in Hawai'i was cancelled and re-scheduled. Go figure.

So, I'm looking online and the water temperatures seem to be similar to Hawai'i or even warmer. So a shorty is sufficient?

Also, the controversial topic of tipping: What's normal and appropriate for Cozumel? I know it isn't typical times there, so I want to spread the warmth and wealth as much as I can. Do you tip daily? At the end of the week like in Africa? Per drink? What percentage? In pesos or dollars? I was planning on bringing dollars. I know I can Google this information, but I believe some of you live there and some visit a LOT. I'd like firsthand knowledge, if possible.

Muchas gracias. :)

Water is 84-86 right now, you’ll pass thru cold spots but overall it’s the same at depth as the surface. When I’m diving every day week after week, I’ll put a 3mil on but lately only diving once a week I’ve just been wearing a vest, plenty warm enough.

Not sure when you were getting here but tomorrow we are closed - there’s a fast moving tropical storm coming thru - hopefully just rain and a little wind - they have shut the passenger ferries down and I’m sure flights will be canceled. This doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, we will know more tomorrow afternoon I suppose.

Money - dollars work but pesos are better - you can get money out of atm in mega or chedraui, two big grocery stores. Dive tips are 10-20 us per two tank trip, common amounts I think - dollars or pesos are no problems. I haven’t taken money out in awhile but I think it’s right around 21 pesos per dollar right now.

Relax and enjoy!

:rolleyes:

Africa? Sorta kinda large. Which country? Mali? Gabon? Egypt? Ivory Coast? Zambia? Zimbabwe? Zaire? Ghana? Swaziland? Morocco? Botswana...? They all expect the same tips? :rolleyes:

Sorry - you are absolutely correct. Africa is enormous. I travel in Sub-Saharan Africa most years. Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe...it tends to be fairly similar in the tipping of lodge staff, drivers, and game guides.

Water is 84-86 right now, you’ll pass thru cold spots but overall it’s the same at depth as the surface. When I’m diving every day week after week, I’ll put a 3mil on but lately only diving once a week I’ve just been wearing a vest, plenty warm enough.

Not sure when you were getting here but tomorrow we are closed - there’s a fast moving tropical storm coming thru - hopefully just rain and a little wind - they have shut the passenger ferries down and I’m sure flights will be canceled. This doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, we will know more tomorrow afternoon I suppose.

Money - dollars work but pesos are better - you can get money out of atm in mega or chedraui, two big grocery stores. Dive tips are 10-20 us per two tank trip, common amounts I think - dollars or pesos are no problems. I haven’t taken money out in awhile but I think it’s right around 21 pesos per dollar right now.

Relax and enjoy!

I arrive Sunday. Hopefully the storm won't affect my flight or diving visibility too much.

In the meantime, I hope it doesn't hit you very hard and that you are all safe and well.

Thank you to everyone about the tipping information. It's about right in line with what I was thinking. :)

Sorry - you are absolutely correct. Africa is enormous. I travel in Sub-Saharan Africa most years. Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe...it tends to be fairly similar in the tipping of lodge staff, drivers, and game guides.

Me too. Just not now...SA not in great shape.

Ok, I can't remember who said what and when - but SOMEONE had a recommendation about who to call for a ride from the Cancun airport to the ferry. I didn't pay attention because I thought we had it covered by Cozumel Palace, but it turns out we were getting a 'free week' via our friends, and a transfer doesn't come with it. So ... help! Who is 'the guy to call' for a good rate please!? Thank you and apologies for not paying closer attention! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom