Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a little shoddy. Why were they tested for live virus 12 - 14 days after exposure?

This was not a double-blind study. This is a post-fact anecdotal survey. It's of interest but not much more. I would hardly base any future flying plans on this paper.

This was not a double-blind study. This is a post-fact anecdotal survey. It's of interest but not much more. I would hardly base any future flying plans on this paper.

Airlines probly financed the study. But fck it, I'm going to Coz in two weeks.

I’m using oleander extract on my pillow now. I feel safe.

Are you suggesting to randomly infect some people on the airplane without them knowing it to blindly evaluate the rate of transmission on the airplane? And then see if they get sick? While at it, infect people of different ages blindly to see if older people really get sicker and die, because you do not believe a retrospective analysis... There are many situations when randomized double blinded studies not only not indicated and unnecessary, but also unethical and sometimes illegal.

I am sure you are being sarcastic, but any financial support would had to be disclosed. Either way, the article showed what many would expect. Close proximity and prolonged unmasked contact increase probability of transmission. Airplane filtration system worked, an despite being on the plane for 4 hours, there was not 200 infected people. This people I don’t think were masked at that time.
The way I am reading it - with universal masking on the plane, it should be pretty safe to fly.
Enjoy coz. Jealous.

Are you suggesting to randomly infect some people on the airplane without them knowing it to blindly evaluate the rate of transmission on the airplane? And then see if they get sick? While at it, infect people of different ages blindly to see if older people really get sicker and die, because you do not believe a retrospective analysis... There are many situations when randomized double blinded studies not only not indicated and unnecessary, but also unethical and sometimes illegal.

Whoa. Easy cowboy. I don’t assign as much weight to a retrospective study as a double-blind. Duh. Nor am I suggesting infecting volunteers with SARS-COV-2 either. I’m simply unlikely to change my travel confidence level based on that study.

Whoa. Easy cowboy. I don’t assign as much weight to a retrospective study as a double-blind. Duh. Nor am I suggesting infecting volunteers with SARS-COV-2 either. I’m simply unlikely to change my travel confidence level based on that study.
I agree with what you are saying. There is a reason why this study was published in JAMA open and not JAMA. However, you have to be able to find what data is valuable and you can trust.
For me, the undisputed facts - there were several active COVID cases on the plane and you did not have a plane full of sick people afterwards. Good news. This fact does not require a rigorous statistical analysis or blind randomization. There were documented cases of transmission in passengers in very close proximity. For this one, randomized blinded analysis with 100% testing could be helpful, but unnecessary.
Thus, if you know what to look for, you can actually dissect and find valuable data even in Level 4, and on very rare occasion Level 5 evidence. This article is between 3-4. An article of Fauci guessing, on the other hand, not helpful. Sharon Stone blaming others for her sister’s sickness while maybe true is even less helpful, etc...

So I have some basic questions for Cozumel - this may be the wrong forum for these. If so I apologize, but you all have been super helpful so I thought I'd ask you. I leave tomorrow for my trip! Yippee! Only my inter-island flight here in Hawai'i was cancelled and re-scheduled. Go figure.

So, I'm looking online and the water temperatures seem to be similar to Hawai'i or even warmer. So a shorty is sufficient?

Also, the controversial topic of tipping: What's normal and appropriate for Cozumel? I know it isn't typical times there, so I want to spread the warmth and wealth as much as I can. Do you tip daily? At the end of the week like in Africa? Per drink? What percentage? In pesos or dollars? I was planning on bringing dollars. I know I can Google this information, but I believe some of you live there and some visit a LOT. I'd like firsthand knowledge, if possible.

Muchas gracias. :)

So I have some basic questions for Cozumel - this may be the wrong forum for these. If so I apologize, but you all have been super helpful so I thought I'd ask you. I leave tomorrow for my trip! Yippee! Only my inter-island flight here in Hawai'i was cancelled and re-scheduled. Go figure.

So, I'm looking online and the water temperatures seem to be similar to Hawai'i or even warmer. So a shorty is sufficient?

Also, the controversial topic of tipping: What's normal and appropriate for Cozumel? I know it isn't typical times there, so I want to spread the warmth and wealth as much as I can. Do you tip daily? At the end of the week like in Africa? Per drink? What percentage? In pesos or dollars? I was planning on bringing dollars. I know I can Google this information, but I believe some of you live there and some visit a LOT. I'd like firsthand knowledge, if possible.

1)Probably 7 dollars per tank was normal pre -covid. (maybe a little less ). That was was 15-20 percent depending upon dive shop. That tip in absolute terms is way higher than most in Mexico expect but Cozumel cost of living way higher than rest of Mexico

2) Pesos slightly preferred to dollars but don’t sweat it if you don’t have pesos

3). Better to tip after each day if possible. Just easier for everyone than splitting tips at end of of trip

4. Higher tips appreciated in Covid times. About to go into normal low season and doubtful if there will be a high season unless vaccine rolls out sooner than expected.

One thing about water temps in Coz is they are pretty much the same at most recreational depths. This time of year I personally would not wear a wetsuit. Most people tip after each 2 tank trip. $10 to $20 a 2 tank trip is the normal range I have seen. Some dive shops offer more service than others so keep that in mind. Tipping in dollars is fine, if you do tip in Pesos make sure you know the conversions well. Easy to get confused and under tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom