Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, maybe the taxi has to be licensed to go to the airport for drop-offs, but if a licensed taxi takes a fare from the airport to PDC, they don't want to return empty.
No, for drop offs at the airport any taxi can.

Unless things have changed a Cancun cab can't pick up a fare in Playa. The taxi mafia just doesn't allow it. I don't know anything about how special van transfers work. You may think there is no one regulating taxi pickups in Playa but the Playa taxi drivers most likely disagree.

Good gravy! I guess Uber is out of the question? :wink:

I doubt very much that a Cancun cab driver can pick up a fare in Playa and I am sure that the Playa driver can't take a fare in the airport.

Deleted. Misunderstood due to unclear description.

Unless you want to wash your car in saltwater by immersion you probably should not try driving for Uber. Remember the "No on Water Taxis" signs?

It used to be that when a taxi driver from out of area, I.E. Cancun to Puerto Morelos brought you in they would stop at the local taxi union to announce that they were just bringing in a fare.

Fisherman cooperatives are the same. Not healthy for Cozumel fishermen to be found fishing in the Puerto Morelos area.

Wait. The Cancun driver can't pick up in Playa and the Playa driver can't go into the airport, so who exactly can pick up a person in Playa and take them into the airport? A driver from Merida?
A Playa driver can drop off at the airport. A Puerto Morelos driver can drop off at the airport. A Cancun driver can drop off at the airport. Unless they are licensed by the airport they can't pick up a return fare there. When the airport was much smaller, we were much younger and there were only very expensive ways to get out of there my wife and I would sometimes drag our bags outside the airport security. As soon as we were out of sight of security we would get a cab ride from someone who just dropped off. If we were not out of sight of security the cab driver going our way would point ahead to the corner and wait for us there.

Unless you want to wash your car in saltwater by immersion you probably should not try driving for Uber. Remember the "No on Water Taxis" signs?

It used to be that when a taxi driver from out of area, I.E. Cancun to Puerto Morelos brought you in they would stop at the local taxi union to announce that they were just bringing in a fare.

Fisherman cooperatives are the same. Not healthy for Cozumel fishermen to be found fishing in the Puerto Morelos area.

Fishing and taxis are a false equivalent.

Playa taxis have to be pissed returning empty and the same for airport taxis. It would only make sense for each to let the other make a profitable return.

For now, yes. Mexico hasn't had a national revolution in a long time tho, so who knows what the future will bring. They've had many fought by peons that made some of the rich richer, but that's typical I guess worldwide.

Fishing and taxis are a false equivalent.

Playa taxis have to be pissed returning empty and the same for airport taxis. It would only make sense for each to let the other make a profitable return.
I agree. Suppose a New York taxi got a fare into Newark. Do you suppose they can wait around and try to find a fare back to New York? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it.

This is a tangent, but fishing in Hawaii is the same. There is no fishing cooperative, but try showing up with your boat at a boat ramp where they don't know you and there will be hell to pay. Guns were drawn and fired at a ramp last year. When the police showed up...no one had seen or heard a thing.

Back
Top Bottom