Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the deal with the ferry from Playa? How difficult will it be to get from CUN to Coz? I'm looking to make reservations on Delta. Neither my wife or our friends (traveling from Arkansas) want to fly American's cattle cars.

I looked at flights. I don't know what you'd want in lodging, and there are too many great dive ops to choose from (unless you'd like for me to suggest my personal favorite like most do here), but let's start with flights.

Spirit is cheaper, but I'd suggest spending a little more to go on American. Going on the 23rd is doable, but the 24th is cheaper. I'd suggest the 6 am departure that gives you less than 2 hours in DFW but plenty of time as the 7 am flight gives you less than an hour to change planes and maybe terminals. Comparing one-ways first...
View attachment 603114 View attachment 603115
American is not flying to & from Cozumel on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for a while, but you could come back on Monday the 31st. Except that returns gives you less than 2 hours to clear immigration and customs, then reenter security and board, maybe at a different terminal. It'd be risky, and there is not a later connection.
View attachment 603116
But you could fly to Cozumel, and return from Cancun. You'd need to leave very early to ride the ferry (whenever it goes?), then the bus, to catch that 11 am flight, so you might opt for the 12:55 pm flight even with the longer Miami layover.
View attachment 603119 View attachment 603120

How did you find those? I've been looking for airfares all day on the American site and nothing is going to Cozumel from Las Vegas! Correction - I managed to get one TO Coz, but can only get back from Cancun.

And Now that I read your post in its entirety, I see it could be a day of the week thing. Let me see if I can change my appointment to the 4th and fly back the 3rd. :)

What's the deal with the ferry from Playa? How difficult will it be to get from CUN to Coz? I'm looking to make reservations on Delta. Neither my wife or our friends (traveling from Arkansas) want to fly American's cattle cars.
Two ferry’s operating on odd and even days. Winjet on odd days. Check their FB page daily for updates....I’m hoping to catch the 5pm to Coz tomorrow.

I hired a private driver for $33 to drive us from CUN to Playa...he’s used often by SB members...I’ll know more and better come tomorrow evening.

Not a big deal at all - avoid the first and last ones

How did you find those? I've been looking for airfares all day on the American site and nothing is going to Cozumel from Las Vegas! Correction - I managed to get one TO Coz, but can only get back from Cancun.

And Now that I read your post in its entirety, I see it could be a day of the week thing. Let me see if I can change my appointment to the 4th and fly back the 3rd. :)
I always shop airfares on Matrix. Google matrix software but there are many tricks to learn. I wouldn't bother trying to change your September 3 appointment as that itinerary from Cozumel to Las Vegas is risky even on the 4th. That returns gives you less than 2 hours to clear immigration and customs, then reenter security and board, maybe at a different terminal. It'd be risky, and there is not a later connection. I'd take the 12:55 pm flight out of Cancun to be safe.

Google Flights has been using matrix for almost 10 years and is a lot faster/easier to use.

I always shop airfares on Matrix. Google matrix software but there are many tricks to learn. I wouldn't bother trying to change your September 3 appointment as that itinerary from Cozumel to Las Vegas is risky even on the 4th. That returns gives you less than 2 hours to clear immigration and customs, then reenter security and board, maybe at a different terminal. It'd be risky, and there is not a later connection. I'd take the 12:55 pm flight out of Cancun to be safe.

I have Global Entry. Does that make a difference coming back from Mexico? I can not remember the last time I flew through DFW, so have very little recollection of the airport except that it is BIG. I already changed my appointment, so I can leave from Cozumel or Cancun at this point. They were happy to oblige. :) I think people are so happy for people coming in for appointments from out of state that they'll do switches all day long.

I worry a bit about flying from Cancun because there are more moving parts. Ferry, bus, plane vs. Taxi, plane. If people with more experience in Cozumel say it's easy, I'll go for a more sure thing.

Google Flights has been using matrix for almost 10 years and is a lot faster/easier to use.
Yeah, I tried google flights. I never could get as much control. It should be the same, but didn't work well for me. If it does for you, cool.

I have Global Entry. Does that make a difference coming back from Mexico?
I've heard it gets you thru faster, but I do not know the details.

I already changed my appointment, so I can leave from Cozumel or Cancun at this point. They were happy to oblige.
Well, that itinerary from Cozumel to Las Vegas on Thursday does not give much time - officially 1 hour 35 minutes to clear I&C, change terminals, reenter security (at least they take your checked bags back after Customs so you don't have to drag those), and there is no backup flight on American or any other airline. You can try it as it might work, or other things could go wrong with adventure travel, but I just don't suggest less than two hours.

I worry a bit about flying from Cancun because there are more moving parts. Ferry, bus, plane vs. Taxi, plane. If people with more experience in Cozumel say it's easy, I'll go for a more sure thing.
It's generally very easy. At this time we don't know for sure what the ferry or bus schedules will be tho. The Open-Jaw LAS to CZM then CUN to LAS does cost more in this case, but there is more connection time. And I did find DFW connections on Thursday.

upload_2020-8-7_0-1-17.png

I have Global Entry. Does that make a difference coming back from Mexico? I can not remember the last time I flew through DFW, so have very little recollection of the airport except that it is BIG. I already changed my appointment, so I can leave from Cozumel or Cancun at this point. They were happy to oblige. :) I think people are so happy for people coming in for appointments from out of state that they'll do switches all day long.

You can expect to spend no more than 10 minutes getting through immigration with Global Entry; more likely 5 minutes.

Yes, DFW is big. I always worry about whether to get off the train on the first or second stop of the terminal, but I think that the last time I was there, my phone hadn't yet graduated from high school, or I had so much time that it didn't matter.

I didn't spend a great deal of time looking, but how much time do you have in DFW? Saw that DandyDon said less than 2 hours. How much less?

I find that flying out of CUN makes for a very long day, I hate it.
I hate running through airports.
I hate American Airlines, (although booked on them for our March/April 2021 trip), because the pricks shut the jetway door as we approached the counter, and wouldn't let us on. It was their fault that we were late.

I didn't spend a great deal of time looking, but how much time do you have in DFW? Saw that DandyDon said less than 2 hours. How much less?

Well, that itinerary from Cozumel to Las Vegas on Thursday does not give much time - officially 1 hour 35 minutes to clear I&C, change terminals, reenter security (at least they take your checked bags back after Customs so you don't have to drag those), and there is no backup flight on American or any other airline.

Back
Top Bottom