Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still not a lot of money :( would operations even go out with 2 divers on a boat?

Also, you didn’t answer my question ref the ‘who would be pissed’ thing...are you talking about the authorities? Never let the simpletons and malcontents silence the truth dude :)

Outa three dive shops, two say it's closed and one says it's open. Then there's the whole question of the Marine Park, it's Federal and Federal Parks are closed...............

It's very frustrating here. Yesterday, they would not let me into the Fountar marina.... Curfew appears good for some but yet not others, resturants seating people when others abide by the rules......

It seems there are two approaches here. 1. Assume it is open and go diving until authorites step forward and explicitly tell you it is still closed. 2. Assume it is closed and remain in port until authorities explicitly tell you it is now open.

Given my limited experience with Mexico as a tourist, I'd go with #1. Just in general, seems what I am allowed to do is whatever I am not clearly prevented from doing.

Good idea! Hopefully some of the credits are transferable. I know with my Aggressor voucher it is not transferable.

Unless they’re specifically being told no, which doesn’t seem to be happening, sometimes it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :wink:

I tell my staff that is the best way to approach everything in life other than a situation where I am the one you will be asking for forgiveness..

I tell my staff that is the best way to approach everything in life other than a situation where I am the one you will be asking for forgiveness..

Lol. Well, I just rebooked for Aug 8th. I'll be crossing my fingers until then.

better to beg than ask in those situations..

Still not a lot of money :( would operations even go out with 2 divers on a boat?

Not if they want to stay in business. 2 divers doesn't reach break-even on the cost to go out on most small boats so heading out with 2 only increases the financial bleeding. If the rule is 30% of capacity, that makes no sense either. A 6 pack can take 1.8 divers? Maybe they say 30% rounded up to the next diver so a 6-pack can take 2... I doubt that's break-even for any dive op that knows its #'s. Maybe a cattle boat can make that work. 60% rounded up to the next diver is doable though. The problem is 60% assumes a dive op has demand from enough divers visiting the island to fill a boat to 60% capacity or at least beyond the point of break-even.

When is a dive op going to have enough divers on any given day or any given week to make it financially viable to go out that day or multiple days over that week? Who knows. Divers may need to start working with their dive ops (and vice versa) booking months in advance so there are enough divers on a given week to justify going out... That would take some flexibility on the divers' behalf as they would need to be willing to adjust their travel to correspond with a week the dive op knows they are booking enough divers to justify daily, profitable diving. 1 week a month of boats filled to 60% doing out daily (and profitably) beats 4 weeks a month of boats heading out daily below the dive op's break-even cost of heading out.

Not if they want to stay in business. 2 divers doesn't reach break-even on the cost to go out on most small boats so heading out with 2 only increases the financial bleeding. If the rule is 30% of capacity, that makes no sense either. A 6 pack can take 1.8 divers? Maybe they say 30% rounded up to the next diver so a 6-pack can take 2... I doubt that's break-even for any dive op that knows its #'s. Maybe a cattle boat can make that work. 60% rounded up to the next diver is doable though. The problem is 60% assumes a dive op has demand from enough divers visiting the island to fill a boat to 60% capacity or at least beyond the point of break-even.

When is a dive op going to have enough divers on any given day or any given week to make it financially viable to go out that day or multiple days over that week? Who knows. Divers may need to start working with their dive ops (and vice versa) booking months in advance so there are enough divers on a given week to justify going out... That would take some flexibility on the divers' behalf as they would need to be willing to adjust their travel to correspond with a week the dive op knows they are booking enough divers to justify daily, profitable diving. 1 week a month of boats filled to 60% doing out daily (and profitably) beats 4 weeks a month of boats heading out daily below the dive op's break-even cost of heading out.

And you know all this based on your experience operating a dive shop in Cozumel?

That is not necessarily true. If the dive shop charges a double, 2 divers are equivalent to 4 divers per 6-pack... Just saying... supply and demand. I am sure some of us would pay double to go diving now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom