Can the Transderm-Scop Patches be purchased over-the-counter in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

be aware of the side effects of the patch with extended use. Although i suffer no side effects, by the second patch my wife experiences vision issues. Blurred vision that is noticeable, but not debilitating. Enough that would prevent her from reading a book.

even if a patch comes off, isn't the medicine still in your body? As long as you notice it by the end of the day and replace it you should be fine. That being said, covering it with a waterproof bandage has been suggested as a way to keep them in place.

its funny how insurance works. If my wife gets an Rx it costs her over $50. If I get an Rx for patches I pay $14.

I've experienced that blurred vision side effect before. Not fun. I was advised by a pharmacist that if you get that particular side effect you should cease taking scopalomine as it can become permanent. I've never sought a confirmation.

Interestingly, before I realized it was related to the scopalomine I was trying to read a menu in a restaurant saying WTF to myself and my group. Another diver lent me their glasses as a joke, and they worked perfectly. I used the glasses to pick my meal and passed them back. I was really depressed the rest of the day thinking I was just getting old and needed glasses.

Also, the medicine does stay in your body for several hours after a patch comes off. I never had one come off that wasn't deliberately removed. Maybe people are putting sunscreen or something on first?

Dramamine makes me feel crappy for the whole day and generally detracts from the diving. I'll probably try bonine next.

Me and my son used Bonine back in March. First day on the water my wife tells me junior isn't feeling well. I didn't either, turns out in the mad rush to get ready I gave us ephedrine instead... *doh*

Is there any benefit to scop. vs bonine? Will be doing a LOB next year.

Bonine works for me if the seas are fairly calm. When diving in seas that are 2+ feet, I can get seasick even after taking Bonine. So I tried the patch and it worked great. The only side effect I had was food didn't taste quite the same. No blurred vision...thank goodness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom