Can the Transderm-Scop Patches be purchased over-the-counter in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the U.S. you need a prescription for the Scop-patch. I'm wondering if you need one in Cozumel? If you've purchased them in Coz, could you let me know where and the cost. I got 4 patches for $62.57 (insurance won't pay for them) a few weeks ago after my doc wrote me a prescription. BTW....they really worked great for me while diving in FL last week.

Thanks for any info you can provide! Heading for Coz in 32 days!

Don't know about policy in Coz....

Beware that the patch can come off during a dive, and leave you wishing it hadn't. Too bad the pills aren't available anymore.

For most of the dives I've done in Coz, Bonine has been good enough to keep me from becoming seasick, however, there have been times when it didn't give me enough relief. I get especially nauseous if the seas are a bit rough and we have to wait for the boat to pick us up.

I wore the patch in FL for three days of diving and it never came off. Very sticky backing. I was really impressed with how well it worked. No seasickness at all. You can't believe what a great feeling that is for someone who can get sick just floating on the lake in an inner-tube!

Alyssa swears by them, but I was unable to find any in Cozumel - not to say they are not there, but I did not find any and couldn't really find out if they would need a prescription if they did have em.

Have FUN!!!!

I was not able to find any patches on the island during my Nov. 2013 vacation. To be honest, the price you quoted for your four patches was quite a bit less than what I paid. A big reason I stay on the far south end of the island is to reduce my time on the boat. It also helps to let my dive master know my issues, which allow me to be the first off the boat and the last on. At least Cozumel has some of the shortest boat rides of any Caribbean destination.

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'm with Alyssa....I swear by them, too. Hey, we wish you could join us in June!!!!

---------- Post added May 24th, 2014 at 06:06 PM ----------

Thanks for letting me know you couldn't find the patches, morecowbells. In doing some research on the cost of the patches, I did get a pretty good deal. I just wish my insurance would've covered some of the cost.

I am 99.9% certain they are not available here - they may even look at you like you have 3 heads because they probably won't even know what you're talking about. They are great for those who have issues, but I would bring them with you if you think you will need them.

BTW - the water is even flatter and smoother in the summer months (except when i's not) - haha! Seriously, the water is very smooth in the summer unless an afternoon squal or something comes in.

Scopolamine pills are available from Australia as Travacalm H. O. (Hyoscine Only) This January was my first diving trip to Mexico without seasickness due to Travacalm. I haven't used the patches but the pills worked perfectly including long days in the rollers on a fishing boat. I'm normally the guy loaded with Dramamine laying on the dive boat deck between dives too sick to do anything else and barely able to get my equipment on for the second dive.

I am 99.9% certain they are not available here - they may even look at you like you have 3 heads because they probably won't even know what you're talking about. They are great for those who have issues, but I would bring them with you if you think you will need them.

BTW - the water is even flatter and smoother in the summer months (except when i's not) - haha! Seriously, the water is very smooth in the summer unless an afternoon squal or something comes in.

Thanks, Christi, for your reply. I was hoping a local would respond. Yep, I've been in Coz in summer and winter and find the waters flatter and smoother in the summer. Please arrange that for June 25 - July 4 :D and you'll be my BFF forever!

Back
Top Bottom