Can the Transderm-Scop Patches be purchased over-the-counter in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While an oral form called Scopace is no longer no longer on the market, you can get scopolamine pills made by a compounding pharmacy with a Doctor's prescription. You'd need to research the pill strength, call around and find a compounding pharmacy in your area that can do it, and provide that info. to your Physician since he may not know off the top of his head just what pill strength and pharmacy should be involved. Bring in some sort of print-out showing the info. A hassle, but it can be done, and pills don't come off like patches can.

A friend of mine had no problem with the patch coming off, but my wife did (I suspect because of where the patch is worn, she might've got some hair caught under it, but I'm not sure). That friend got sea sick on a boat ride in Cozumel and called the 2nd dive the day we were there, so it can happen.

Richard.

Scopolamine pills are available from Australia as Travacalm H. O. (Hyoscine Only) This January was my first diving trip to Mexico without seasickness due to Travacalm. I haven't used the patches but the pills worked perfectly including long days in the rollers on a fishing boat. I'm normally the guy loaded with Dramamine laying on the dive boat deck between dives too sick to do anything else and barely able to get my equipment on for the second dive.
I looked at a few sites. It looks like some will ship to the US, but the shipping costs are prohibitive! What site did you use? We get some meds from India, and there have been shipping issues lately.

It looks like the patch is available without prescription at Northwest Pharmacy. I thought it was prescription only? This site generally requires scripts for such when we have used them in the past: https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/p...808afe8e289167c3f6&s=scopolamine&drugid=72295

Me and my son used Bonine back in March. First day on the water my wife tells me junior isn't feeling well. I didn't either, turns out in the mad rush to get ready I gave us ephedrine instead... *doh*

Is there any benefit to scop. vs bonine? Will be doing a LOB next year.

Me and my son used Bonine back in March. First day on the water my wife tells me junior isn't feeling well. I didn't either, turns out in the mad rush to get ready I gave us ephedrine instead... *doh*
And there are good reasons for doctors prescription, huh...?

When you have to pay for meds yourself, it's nice to save significantly.

Certainly. Generic medications sold in the US are sourced from all over the world. Ranbaxy Laboratories in India is one major supplier to the US.

Well I am sure that is true. I knew they had labs and exported meds. I just wondered about DD personally sourcing them from India. Besides the quality control questions, isnt that a bit of an import 'issue'?

Is that like an internet deal? I never clicked on the link in the emails I get about... well you know.

:jb:

Besides if I was buying outside the US there is only ONE doctor I trust:

[youtubehq]xwbOdUwUXyk[/youtubehq]

be aware of the side effects of the patch with extended use. Although i suffer no side effects, by the second patch my wife experiences vision issues. Blurred vision that is noticeable, but not debilitating. Enough that would prevent her from reading a book.

even if a patch comes off, isn't the medicine still in your body? As long as you notice it by the end of the day and replace it you should be fine. That being said, covering it with a waterproof bandage has been suggested as a way to keep them in place.

its funny how insurance works. If my wife gets an Rx it costs her over $50. If I get an Rx for patches I pay $14.

I never clicked on the link in the emails I get about... well you know.
Of course not.

scop works much better for some people at least. My husband for one. A liveaboard wouldn't even be an option for him with only dramamine or bonine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom