Can I use a hiking compass underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can I use a regular hicking compass uderwater. The one we used as boyscouts back in the day. They also have a similar concept to the diving ones. The compass is liquid filed and has no bublles in it. I don't see why not, but I was wondering what the disadvantages would be if any.

Thanks,

I've been doing this lately. My compass is shot, so I've been using the LDS compasses- they send out hiking compasses with the classes. I guess they are cheaper.

They work OK. It helps to know where you are going before you use it. I generally use it only to get an "impression" of how lost I am. I did do a 200' mid-water swim with it today and was right on track, but I chickened out before I got were I was going!

Should work just fine. I have several Boy Scout compasses since I was an Adult Leader for many years. I just never used one of them underwater yet.

ChillyWilly:
Can I use a regular hicking compass uderwater. The one we used as boyscouts back in the day. They also have a similar concept to the diving ones. The compass is liquid filed and has no bublles in it. I don't see why not, but I was wondering what the disadvantages would be if any.

Thanks,

one thing to check for is if it's luminous (for night dives)
my buddy uses one and it is not (not sure if hiking ones generally are or are not)

I have used a compass that I had for backpacking while diving to see if it would work ( silva) and it was damaged ( I assume by the pressure). I would not use something for diving that was not made to handle pressure underwater.

An underwater compass is not much use without a bezel and lubber line. That's why "underwater" compasses exist as a separate product. They are point and shoot. The "boy scout" compass was in use during the 1950's. They were equipped with wrist straps but otherwise the same.

Chilly Willy,

Yes, you can use a "hiking compass" for underwater work.

I have a Brunton "Classic" that I use for underwater surveys of old building foundations and such. Works like a charm.

the K

pescador775:
An underwater compass is not much use without a bezel and lubber line. That's why "underwater" compasses exist as a separate product. They are point and shoot. The "boy scout" compass was in use during the 1950's. They were equipped with wrist straps but otherwise the same.

Any decent compass meant to be used for navigation will have a moveable bezel and a lubber line (of course they mey be direct or indirect reading). A compass is used underwater exactly as it is on land with the acception that the sighting distances are sometimes more limited because of vis. Some compasses will have the added feature of being see-through for taking headings off-of or plotting them onto a map.

Some compasses not designed for underwater use may fail due to the pressure. However, a few years ago I was looking for a good compass to use on surveys...it needs to have enough increments to get an accurate heading. Most of the compasses designed for diving are totally useless in that regard, so I asked some one who does lots of surveys. He recommended one of the cheap ones that he gets at walmart or someplace. He showed me his survey slate which also has a level mounted on it. In surprise, I asked if those held up underwater. He replied that he couldn't say for certain that they would but that he had often used his down to about 400 ft and never had a problem.

I took a cheap little silva and put it in my dry suit pocket for a while to see if it would hold up and forgot it was there. I think it cost me about $7, has a moveable bezel, lubber line and is see-through and survived MANY dives including a bunch below 200 ft.

In conclusion I'd say that diving compasses exist as a seperate product so they can sell you a more expensive one than you need AND have it fit in the consol that you don't need. LOL

Zipper pull compass, used to get them at Eddie Bauer before they went "haywire bull-goose looney SUV kids".

$3.99

The size of a quarter. Used the split ring (key loop) as a ring on my finger- compass worn to inside of palm.

As previously mentioned. Test well before relying upon any as water tight.

I'm cheap, read my sig line...

I tried using a hiking compass underwater once. It immediately flooded and was ruined. Be prepared for that possibility. They are not all designed for underwater use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom