Can I use a hiking compass underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My "DIR Zone" wetnotes binder has a pocket in the back that seems designed to hold one of the clear plastic "silva" style compasses. I keep one in there for use as a backup, or when orienteering by map.

pescador775:
Yes, Steve, we got off topic, from "hiking" compasses to military survey/map compasses.

I don't know anything about military compasses but what's the difference between a "hiking" compass and a "survey/map" compass? Taking headings off a map, plotting a course on a map, shooting an asmuth to a visable land mark or even triangulation are exactly the kind of things a hiker may need to do with their compass. Those tasks require the same funtional characteristics as any diving compass needs to have. As long as it will survive being underwater, which many will, they will work great.

An inexpensive Silva@ land compass that cost $9.99, works great. I would just recommend getting the liquid filled one, as they tend to hold up better. An air filled one may crack and leak at depth due to the pressure differential. It'll still work, as the law of physics hold true. But after awhile it'll start to corrode and the needle will tend to stick.

Thank you all for your responses,

I will try the cheap Walmart compass and see how it handles. I think its liquid filled but I can't tell. It is luminous and at a $4.00 price tag I'll give it a shot.

I just seams unreasonable to spend 50 bucks for a diving compass that has less features that a hicking one.

Thank you for all the input,

You can buy one a Walmart for 3.47 and it will work fine. Being liquid filled there is no problem with pressure. I have a dive compass but find this compass much better for mapping. If you have any mapping experience with these on the surface it easily translates to use under water. It is clear and has a stright edge on the side so that you can plot the legs of your map. It is a lot of fun and cheap. Practice and you will be surprised. Practice on the surface and you will be better under water.

An occasional dive partner has used a Sivla compass for 2 years now. He dives about twice a week, sometimes more. Works fine for him. But a dive compass mounted on your console would be IMHO better and more convenient.

They work fine...again they must liquid filled (so that they can withstand the pressure).
I find the orienteering compass a little hard to use underwater though, as it's stored out of way somewhere and it's a little difficult to read as the compass needs to be almost flat give proper readings. It's better than nothing, but if you find you use it frequency just crack and spend the extra dough for one that you can strap to your wrist.:14:

I would imagine that a dive compass would need to work at larger lean angles than your average land compass.

midwayman:
I would imagine that a dive compass would need to work at larger lean angles than your average land compass.

I don't know if it's absolutely necessary but it sure is nice that they do. My Suunto SK7 works to about 30 degrees tilt. Most of the other dive compasses I've seen seem to handle around 15 to 20 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom