Can diving class costs be claimed at tax time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All, I cound not find anything under the search so if there is please post the link for me. My question is...

Can the cost of scuba diving classes be claim at tax time, specifically Canada?

I know that scuba diving counts towards credits at colleges and universities and school fees can be claimed. I am hoping that these can be claimed also.

Thanks

In general no, I have never heard of this sport being a tax shelter. Nice thought though!

If you are enroled in a program such as ocanography where scuba training is a required or even elective class then I suppose it would be treated like any other class fee.

This is just my gutt and common sense talking, I could be out to lunch.

Pete

Any form of training that you take is education and can be claimed under that section of the Canadian tax claim under the non refundable tax benifits I do believe.

The Horn:
Any form of training that you take is education and can be claimed under that section of the Canadian tax claim under the non refundable tax benifits I do believe.

I might be talking out of my rear end, butt I don't think SCUBA diving when done as a "leisure activity" (ie not part of required training) is not tax deductible.

The dive shop I last certified with gives reciepts for tax purposes. Education is education.....

Will look into it further but alot more trivial things are claimed (legally)

4. Tuition, education and textbook amounts (full time and part time) – If you are a student enrolled at a university,
college, or educational institution certified by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, and you will pay more
than $100 per institution in tuition fees, complete this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical
disability and are enrolled part time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $400 for each month that you will be
enrolled, plus $65 per month for textbooks. If you are enrolled part time and do not have a mental or physical disability,
enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $120 for each month that you will be enrolled part time, plus $20 per
month for textbooks.

I do beilieve the dive shop I certified with is certified with the bolded section above

Sweet, I will definately be looking into this more.Thanks

Yes. I did......

My CPA told me that I coould claim it as a "life learning education (I don't remember the exact phrase)."

Yup you can, but there is a but. The shop you do your training with has to be a "vocational institute". This is for Canada atleast.

Back
Top Bottom