Can diving class costs be claimed at tax time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WesTexDiver:
Become an instructor an write everything off!

If you are working towards professional licensure then you can write everything off that you spend toward your education and any other expenses related to your training...gear, books, charters, scuba shows...I will be writing off at least $5000.00 this year. If I go on a trip to Belize or somewhere like that...yep...I take a couple of business cards to a dive shop or two and tell them about our operation and write that off too:D This starts when you begin divemaster training. As far as an open water recreational scuba class...I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a tax accountant either....

Some Universities have Scuba courses. If you're enrolled in one of those courses and get credits that count towards your graduation, than all the fees and expenses associated with the course should be tax deductable.

Also, if you're planning to use these skills to advance your work qualifications (i.e. Scuba Instructor, Dive Master, etc), than that should probably be tax deductable too.

But if it's just for leisure and not associated with your University or work, I would think that it would be pretty hard to justify the tax write off. But I'm not an accountant, so don't quote me.

My accountant researched this for me. As a result of attaining DM status this year AND receiving compensation for assisting with classes( compensation can be described a wages, tips, goods ,or services) I will be writing off a bunch of stuff. Free air fills when assisting with classes or in lieu of cash for working in the shop is compensation. The discounts on gear and courses that are documented and claimed as income will allow me to write off mileage to and from the pool, the lake, the trip to fla that I took as a dive shop employee for the purpose of checking out the resort so that I could send our customers there. All of this is tax deductible. The items I have purchased and have put on display in the shop and use myself to show others that we sell it or can get it is a business expense known as advertising. My DM fees, insurance, specialized equipment that helps me do my job or is required for it is deductible. I have spent over 7K this year on all of this stuff. All for the purpose of furthering my career as a professional. The laptop I'm using now was bought to keep track of students, inventory, expenses, and to research diving related info from places other than my home. I don't use it for anything else. The time I spend on the board learning, advising and being advised, along with researching gear while not able to be deducted as an expense justifies and requires this piece of gear. Along with the deco software and my dive computer software. It is an invaluable tool and a legitimate business expense. One important thing is to make sure you document everything you claim. Receipts, dates, times, names of businesses or students. I'm going to get another file cabinet for all the paper I have to back up my electronic records. A PIA yes but to me a necessary one if I want to take advantage of the perks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom