Can anyone talk me out of buying a used regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very helpful! Thanks!!!

:)

laivindil:
New plan:
1. BP/W, drysuit, doubles and new regs OR rebreather
2. take tech classes
3. dive to 500fsw and get your reg back
4. sell to mastercard: 1st reg set: $$$, losing reg set: $$, tech classes and gear: $$$$$, getting your favorite reg set back: priceless.

raviepoo:
It's sitting somewhere in 500 ft of water. As in "not here anymore." Otherwise I would get it service when it would have been due again, some time in the Spring.

(sob)

That would do it . . . .

Terry

Most of my regs are used items I picked up in good condition and had them serviced. All but one are SP Mk10/G250's which I love. I'm a starving marine biologist... no way I'll spend $600-900 on a new reg that may not even breathe as good as my old ones.

By the way, I think I have a used Micra that I pulled off a pony reg a while back. PM me.

raviepoo:
It's sitting somewhere in 500 ft of water. As in "not here anymore." Otherwise I would get it service when it would have been due again, some time in the Spring.

(sob)
I have a Mk 25 with two D400 second stages (deco tank hung under the boat) that is in a similarly unreachable location. I discovered 20 feet of rope was just enough to cut the rope just above the valve once the boat got under way and then got up to speed. It ranks as one of the stupider things I have done.

I see no reason to not buy a used reg...I (and everyone) dive with a used reg some only have one dive but they are still used. Good luck replacing old faithful! (your new one may never be as good as your first).

DA Aquamaster:
I have a Mk 25 with two D400 second stages (deco tank hung under the boat) that is in a similarly unreachable location. I discovered 20 feet of rope was just enough to cut the rope just above the valve once the boat got under way and then got up to speed. It ranks as one of the stupider things I have done.

I let down my vigilance and let a crew member be responsible for securing my gear on the boat. Next to my ex, that's the stupidest thing I've ever done. Won't do that again. No sir.

Some lessons are expensive. At least nobody got bent or died.

Maybe you just visit your LDS and test some new regs.

Very often the cost for an used reg + service is as high as for a new one.

Perhaps you try the aqualung legend lx supreme.

StefChri:
Very often the cost for an used reg + service is as high as for a new one.

You would have to be a pretty bad shopper for that to be the case considering only initial cost; e.g., the cost of the used reg and the initial service. If you maintain your reg according to mfgr recommendations and the mfgr provides the conditional free parts incentive and you keep that regulator long enough, then cummulative costs will eventually justify purchasing new from and authorized distributor. If you fail or decline to maintain the reg IAW the mfgr recommendations, then the less expensive used or grey market reg is probably the better buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom