Can a Genesis K valve be O2 prepped?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a couple of Genesis K valves that I would like to convert to O2 use. My LDS tells me that it can't be done - non-standard parts that can't be obtained in O2 approved versions...or some such.

These will be used in higher than recreational EAN mix tanks and there are worse things than having to replace them. If anyone has any first-hand experience working on these valves and can tell me if I own a couple of doorstops or if the LDS is blowing O2 up my kazoo, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Steven

I haven't found any valve That can not be O2 cleaned. What part did they say they couldn't get?

Hallmac

mine were O2 cleaned but that was a while ago.

I have four of these on AL80s.

My tanks all have O2 ratings on them. They are filled only with Oxygen-compatable gas, and are partial-pressure blended into regularly.

No problems.

If I wanted to, I could fill them with 100% O2. They already get 100% fed into them whenever they are PP blended, which is basically every time I fill them.

Someone's playing with you.

BTW, the Genesis K-valves are quite nice internally. I don't care for their "angled" DIN stuff, but their K-valves are very nice, and they are thoughtfully designed to give you a "handle" to lift the tank by.

Hallmac once bubbled...
I haven't found any valve That can not be O2 cleaned. What part did they say they couldn't get?

Hallmac

They didn't say exactly, which is one of the things that got me to thinking. A little later than I should have, perhaps, but there you have it. I'll be in the shop soon and will definitely be asking for a detailed explanation. Arghghghgh.

Steven

According to LDS, Genesis K-valves come O2 ready. EPDM orings and cristo-lube. Just what I was told.

but of course if they have been used with regular Grade-E air they wouldn't be O2 clean any more.

However, returning them to O2 service would certainly not be difficult!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom