Can a Genesis K valve be O2 prepped?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had Genesis valves on my nitrox tanks since they became available with no ill effects. I believe Cramer-Decker is playing the cover my rear game. From what I was told, it is more a matter of how the O2 is put into the tank. Anyway, it's the person doing the filling who's butt is on the line, not mine. If they are ok with it, then so am I. My $.02.

No, Your tanks are your responsibility! If you have nitrox stickers on your tanks, but possibly have gotten bogus fills or have questionable valves, YOU are putting the fill guys butt on the line. The assumption is that YOU take care of your equipment and would, for safetys sake, maintain it properly. Do you still stand next to your tanks when they are filled, or do you now make sure you are on the other side of the building?? (just kidding!!) If your tanks are subjected to partial pressure filling, and you can get 02 compatible valves for $40, why take the chance?

Reefraff,

Now that you're on a first name basis with Bob Grundmeyer, could you ask him what the seat material is? If the material is not Nylon 6/6, there's a good chance that a Genesis valve can be made O2 compatible for a couple of bucks (if you already own that $20 tube of christolube).

Here's an exerpt from a Global Mfg Bulletin:

Converting Dive Tanks For Oxygen Service With GMC Oxy-Safe Products

6. Compatibility and Replacement of Components:
Certain internal parts should be replaced if actual oxygen-compatible components are available. Most scuba valves contain seats made of Nylon 6/6 which is not considered to be very oxygen-compatible. While Nylon 6/6 does have marginal oxygen-compatibility, field use has shown that pure oxygen and oxy-rich Nitrox slowly vaporizes that material, often resulting in a complete seat failure. Some manufacturers provide alternate seats containing recognized oxygen-compatible materials such as KEL-F. For example, Sherwood valve seats (Sherwood #3506-9K) contain Kel-F polymer, which will fit many valves that Sherwood-Selpac produced for other distributors over the years.

All nitrile O-rings, such as valve stem and bonnet seals, must be replaced by Viton or EPDM (Ethylene-propylene) material. The white backing rings used in most valves are Teflon and therefore are oxy-compatible. But these, and any other part that will come in contact with pure oxygen, must be cleaned prior to installation. Unless oxy-compatible parts are received from the manufacturer in a sealed package marked “oxygen-clean”, do NOT assume them to be oxy-clean. Clean them as you would other materials to be used in oxygen service.

Hello,

I to recently ran into this 'myth', so doing my homework I emailed genesis scuba and ask:

I am looking at purchasing 3 genesis DIN valves for my tanks and someone told me that genesis valves could not be cleaned for 100% o2 use. Something about the seats not being compatible. Any feedback on this?

This is the reply in my inbox the very next day:

The seats are made of nylon, which is not a problem in O2 service. The valves do need to be cleaned before service as they are not o2 cleaned from the factory.

I hope this clears up the air once and for all.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom