Can a floridian diver measure sense of time correctly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Play nice or I'm going to start ejecting people from the thread

:hm: What to do . . . . :snicker:

Lots of PM's sent??? :D

Different people get irked by different things. Mine.. especially as of late is having to deal with A LOT of people who got certified at one point or another and still consider themselves "divers". More often than not when I tell people that I dive.. they respond with "ohh... I dive too.... " and when I ask them when and where they dive.. answer is always the same... eyes roll to back of their heads, head slightly tilts, index and middle finger rich the chin and convulsively start scratching it and a little while later they respond with... "well I dont dive anymore".. so my follow up question is.. "well how long ago was your last dive?" (expecting to hear like 3 months-3 years). Answer is always in lines of... well me and my .... used to dive in the keys in 1982 and I have not dove since.

Maybe its just me... but how does 3-5 years compare with 28 years of not diving? I am 27 now and thats longer than I am alive... and weird thing is that I meet countless number of people who used to dive 20-30 years ago who still consider themselves active divers. Is it really that difficult to cut right to the chase and say.. well when I was in my 20s I used to dive.... or I used to dive 20 years ago.... ok ok ok I can see how older divers can lose sense of time but what about younger ones? I have co-workers who are in their late 20's who got certified and have not gone diving since age 12.

Today is a long long rainy day so I am venting. Just thought if anyone else fells that any diver who have not gone diving for 10+ years and is in no way associated with diving (ie industry or is a bubble watcher for various reasons)... should no longer be calling themselves an active diver? :idk:

So... I was invited to speak at a local dive club last week... I was sitting in the back of the room during the general part of the meeting, and a few new folks showed up for their first night... As each person spoke up about themselves, where they were from, and how long they had been diving, I had the same shock sort of sense... I think there were 3 or 4 different people, and they had all been diving for 25-35 years... Active enough to join a dive club... So - maybe I assume being in Florida, and members of a dive club - they do go out diving. And I go up to present on a technical diving topic, and I give my into, being certified a measly 7 years ago....

So - much like President Clinton questioning what exactly the definition of the word 'is', "is".... I suppose I'd turn it around and ask you - what makes an active diver....?

We certainly know what inactive and hibernated divers are...

Is a dive every 3 months enough to be 'active'...?

Or are you trying to equate to diving every weekend and averaging 200 dives a year....? I consider that 'active'... Some of my friends would consider that hyper-active - as they can sometimes struggle to hit a fourth of that...

-Tim

Last edited:
We certainly know what inactive and hibernated divers are...

Or are you trying to equate to diving every weekend and averaging 200 dives a year....? I consider that 'active'... Some of my friends would consider that hyper-active - as they can sometimes struggle to hit a fourth of that...

-Tim

:depressed: I hope every four months is enought to be active . . . :(

:coffee: Hey gang - it's CD - the hardest working man in [-]show-business [/-] ScubaBoard....

bios_guests_brown.gif

-Tim

At least 25 dives a year to be considered active. As such, 25 technical or cave dives is different than 25 rec dives but both would be "active divers" in my book.

:depressed: I hope every four months is enought to be active . . . :(

Not so much Jax, but if you do lots of dives at once, you can make up for it.

:coffee: Hey gang - it's CD - the hardest working man in [-]show-business [/-] ScubaBoard....

Somebody has to keep the wheels on the ground :)

Define "nice" . . . Please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom