Camp & Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of thermal protection do you recommend? What certification level is mandatory? I've got Open Water and Enriched Air. Do I need a backup light with my main? I really want to, "Been there, done that". Gotta put this in my dive log.

Temp: The water is cold, 60f. Thick wetsuits, 5mm minimum, 7mm or more, along with hood and gloves strongly suggested. Drysuit appropriate if you've got one.

Depth: No greater than 130'.

Nitrox: Not required

Certification: I will let the sponsoring dive shop address this (Chris?), but it is an advanced, cold water dive.

Lights: Two lights are required.

Based on the thread responses, the roster looks great so far:

Going:
Dark Eternal
ScubaShawn123
Widdahbruddah
Scubajcf
In10se
Vyvial
Zinc
Chrispete
Rumbum

Interested:
ftwdiver14
Aaron203
Daylonious
Vintage Diver
K-valve
Mr.rongilbert
Ryan1985

If you would like to go and have not already done so, please call and reserve your spot with the shop. Contact info found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-texas/254026-dive-valhalla-nuclear-missle-silo-oct-11th-12th-2008-a.html

Certification: I will let the sponsoring dive shop address this (Chris?), but it is an advanced, cold water dive.

Advanced certification would be nice but if you have comparable experience in your diving past that'd be just fine. I'd ask that everyone dive within their personal limits. If you are wanting to use these dives to expand those limits, please try to find a more experienced buddy to dive with on the trip so you can do so safely. You will need to be comfortable with wearing lots of neoprene (head to toe) or be diving a drysuit for the 50* water.

All that being said, it's going to be a fun trip everyone. Thanks to Zinc for putting all of this together!

For most people (in my observations) the advanced part of the dive is not so much the cold, but the disorienting nature of diving in a dark, round tube with very few features. Also I had a buddy wear too much neoprene (like 10+ mil) and his buoyancy was screwed. It took tons of weight to get down, and then on the way up he had an uncontrolled ascent from about 30-40 feet. Wear as little neoprene as you can stand is my rule of thumb. I wear a full 3mil and a 2mil shorty, then a 5 mil hood and 3 mil gloves. Its chilly, but Im used to that much neoprene so buoyancy is easy.

Sounds like a good excuse for me to take that wetsuit class and buy another exposure suit :)

Wetsuit class ??? Actually, it would be a great opportunity to knock out a couple of the requirements for the advanced card. Can't do the navigation, but deep & night are doable.

Based on the thread responses, the roster looks great so far:

Going:
Dark Eternal
ScubaShawn123
Widdahbruddah
Scubajcf
In10se
Vyvial
Zinc
Chrispete
Rumbum

Interested:
ftwdiver14
Aaron203
Daylonious
Vintage Diver
K-valve
Mr.rongilbert
Ryan1985

If you would like to go and have not already done so, please call and reserve your spot with the shop. Contact info found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/trips-local-marketplace-texas/254026-dive-valhalla-nuclear-missle-silo-oct-11th-12th-2008-a.html

Of course, I need to add to that the list of folks who have paid. Oh, wait, no one has paid yet. Hint, hint.

What time is everyone getting their on Sat? Also how many dives is everyone planing on making? Is their a scuba shop close by to fill tanks for Sundays, diving?

Thanks

What time is everyone getting their on Sat? Also how many dives is everyone planing on making? Is their a scuba shop close by to fill tanks for Sundays, diving?

Thanks

Arrival time TBD
# dives: as many as you want. Bring tanks for your dives. There are dive shops in Abilene but I don't know if they're open Sundays.

Personally, I'll probably do 3 dives and bring 3 tanks.

Wetsuit class ??? Actually, it would be a great opportunity to knock out a couple of the requirements for the advanced card. Can't do the navigation, but deep & night are doable.

I was wrong on that one. I thought I could rent a dry suit ... but enhenh. Plus, the class is just a checkout dive on drysuit buoyancy and function awareness that goes with the suit. But I can paypal (including the paypal fees) the payment for the dive right now & save me the gas of driving it down to ya.

Back
Top Bottom