Camp & Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Some DIMWIT's have been talking and would like to go dive the Valhalla Missile Silo. It's just outside Abilene and we've got a reservation in the works. We will probably need at least 12 divers to make the trip a go.

Itinerary goes like this:

Sat. Oct. 11, drive to Missile Silo outside Abilene (4 hours from Austin, 3 from Dallas). Setup camp, check out silo, and DIVE! Eat, Drink, Sleep, and return on Sunday.

Hopefully some other Swampers from around the State will grace us with their presence :D

I've attached a schematic to give you an idea.

Who's interested? :eyebrow:

Attachments

• mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 281
I am interested, looks like a check mark that needs to be completed. I will do some checking tomorrow to see if I can swing it. I will also check with a couple of locals who might be interested. One doesnt much care for the cold water..... I will let you know tomorow. Is there a place to park an RV?

Is there a place to park an RV?

Yup. It's a big flat patch of land in the country, with a big slab & door concealing the silo below...
I'm sure there's space to roll in :cool2:

I have been twice before---great 'log book' type dive experience!!

I am very interested. That sounds like it would be a fun dive. Pencil me in as I will know more as that date come closer.

It's still on my To-Dive list. Not this year though. :depressed:

Alan- oh... man you speak volumes in such a short sentence.

Four floors walk down, and 50 degree water.
Also strong lights reflect off the curved walls.
I hiked in and out my gear and my wife's gear and we were using steel tanks. What the heck was I thinking... :confused:

To quote Indiana Jones-
Snakes, why does it always have to be snakes? I hate snakes... :popcorn:

Andrew

I'd like to do it. I'll verify once I know cost and such, but count me in for sure! I've always wanted to check that off my list.

Whats the cost? I have been wanting to make the trek out there.

As soon as we finalize the reservation, I'll post the price and sign up information.

Back
Top Bottom