Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't need a form to tell me my general health and fitness to dive. I wouldn't be going on the dive trip in the first place if I didn't feel qualified to dive. I agree to accept responsibility for my self assessment.
I have always believed that the health questionnaire actually is not about the diver. It’s a futile attempt of the dive operation to prevent liability from your survivor’s lawsuits in the event you are able to kill yourself, through no actual fault of their own.

I don't need a form to tell me my general health and fitness to dive. I wouldn't be going on the dive trip in the first place if I didn't feel qualified to dive. I agree to accept responsibility for my self assessment.
Can you guarantee your heirs will have the same policy? :D

@gopbroek - I posted my reply before I read yours.

I have always believed that the health questionnaire actually is not about the diver. It’s a futile attempt of the dive operation to prevent liability from your survivor’s lawsuits in the event you are able to kill yourself, through no actual fault of their own.
Yeah, I think so. I seldom get asked to show C-card or sign anything in Cozumel, tho.

Getting back to the OP's post...
Sorry about your experience at Allegro but I can't say that I'm at all surprised by it. We've stayed at Secrets, Sabor, Occidental and Fiesta Americana on the island. Occidental is the sister resort to, and an upgrade on, the Allegro. We weren't that impressed (at all - in fact, we eat off resort several nights because we were not happy with what was on offer) by the food & forced dinner reservations (and the limited number of them allowed unless you upgrade).

Fiesta Americana is the only resort we've returned (repeatedly) to. Until we had our daughter, we did condos exclusively but once she was in our life AIs became much easier. Food is important to us and we've found FA to have the best of the bunch (that we've tried. I understand that Cozumel Place is also very good but is more than we'd prefer to pay for the 10 or 11 days we visit in March every year). You get unlimited a la carte dinners and no reservations are needed. We like that FA is also much closer to town than the southern AIs. Getting our dive op of choice (either Dive with Martin or Tres Pelicanos) to pick up and drop off is easy. We can do dives in the morning, afternoon, or both and the ride out to the reefs isn't long.

The OP's post is EXACTLY why I stay in-town (the Casa Mexicana is my preferred place) and dive with a smaller boutique dive op (3P's). I just wrote a review of our 5th X-mas dive trip staying at the Casa and diving with 3P's on Tripadvisor.

Tres Pelicanos Dive Center (Cozumel) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

As far as reporting high blood pressure... Well, if one is taking his/her meds then they don't have high blood pressure so it is NOT a medical condition of concern when it is being treated. My Dr. (who has many patients who are divers in VA Beach) told me high blood pressure WHEN TREATED and reduced to lower levels and monitored has absolutely no impact on my ability to dive. He told me to take my meds and do whatever I want because when I take my meds I don't have high blood pressure that should be a reason for concern. He ENCOURAGES any form of exercise be it diving, walking, running, working out, whatever and said the more of that I do the better.

Heck, probably 1/3 of the population has high blood pressure but most don't know it and most goes untreated because most don't have annual physicals (even if their health insurance will pay for some or all of their annual physical). I was in that camp... Hadn't had a physical for years as I don't like seeing doctors for fear of what they may find and getting into "the system". Well, when I finally went after many years my formerly regular BP had certainly changed for the worse. Now I treat it, take 2 dirt cheap pills a day that are now free under my insurance, check my BP from time to time with a wrist monitor and don't worry about it because there is nothing to worry about.

At this point, I don't know when my BP went higher over the years but when it did I should have been treating it 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years ago as high BP can cause damage to lots of things which is why it is known as the "Silent Killer". My Dr. said I can't fight genetics... My parents and my grandparents were on BP meds for decades and it is just my time to start on them. He prescribed me 1 and then 2 of the 3 BP meds HE is currently taking so I figure if they are good enough for him they are certainly good enough for me.

The OP's post is EXACTLY why I stay in-town (the Casa Mexicana is my preferred place) and dive with a smaller boutique dive op (3P's). I just wrote a review of our 5th X-mas dive trip staying at the Casa and diving with 3P's on Tripadvisor.

Tres Pelicanos Dive Center (Cozumel) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

As far as reporting high blood pressure... Well, if one is taking his/her meds then they don't have high blood pressure so it is NOT a medical condition of concern when it is being treated. My Dr. (who has many patients who are divers in VA Beach) told me high blood pressure WHEN TREATED and reduced to lower levels and monitored has absolutely no impact on my ability to dive. He told me to take my meds and do whatever I want because when I take my meds I don't have high blood pressure that should be a reason for concern. He ENCOURAGES any form of exercise be it diving, walking, running, working out, whatever and said the more of that I do the better.

Heck, probably 1/3 of the population has high blood pressure but most don't know it and most goes untreated because most don't have annual physicals (even if their health insurance will pay for some or all of their annual physical). I was in that camp... Hadn't had a physical for years as I don't like seeing doctors for fear of what they may find and getting into "the system". Well, when I finally went after many years my formerly regular BP had certainly changed for the worse. Now I treat it, take 2 dirt cheap pills a day that are now free under my insurance, check my BP from time to time with a wrist monitor and don't worry about it because there is nothing to worry about.

At this point, I don't know when my BP went higher over the years but when it did I should have been treating it 1 year, 3 years, or 5 years ago as high BP can cause damage to lots of things which is why it is known as the "Silent Killer". My Dr. said I can't fight genetics... My parents and my grandparents were on BP meds for decades and it is just my time to start on them. He prescribed me 1 and then 2 of the 3 BP meds HE is currently taking so I figure if they are good enough for him they are certainly good enough for me.

/heydeepsea! i read your write up. do you happen to remember any of the good room numbers? I'm interested in Casa Mexicana and TP for my upcoming trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom