Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been all over the world yes there are scams everywhere including in the US, but Latin America is the only place I've been where screwing tourists comes not from rogue actors but actual reputable companies as part of policy. And it doesn't need to be that way, they all have about the same price after insurance, just advertise that.
They've come a long ways since their habit of repeatedly appointing Santa Anna dictator for life. They're getting better.

They've come a long ways since their habit of repeatedly appointing Santa Anna dictator for life. They're getting better.

That is a good thing, we were getting tired of having to kick his butt again and again.

Remember the Alamo! Remember the Goliad! :p

Oh my this is such baloney. Yes, under Mexican law you are required to buy liability insurance BUT your US insurance is still excess AND any good credit card will give you enough CDW insurance. I’ve rented cars in CZM on several occasions and never had an issue.

Key point is, you've never had an issue. Everything is safe and easy - until it's not. Insurance isn'y needed at all - unitl it is.

Your US card may provide for CDW but Mexico does not accept it. You will have to pay the rental agency (and as stated, before you leave Mexico) yourself then you can dicker with your card about getting reimbursed. If you're good with that, go for it.

That is a good thing, we were getting tired of having to kick his butt again and again.

Remember the Alamo! Remember the Goliad! :p
He made to promises to Mexico to help defeat the US in the Mexican-American war, made other promises to the US if they'd let him go back, lied to both and played his games. But that wasn't the last time he was exiled, then allowed back to run the country. Over and over. Antonio López de Santa Anna - Wikipedia

I’m glad I kept my little VW crossfox and left it at moms casa when I moved back to the states.

I like you DandyDon. I believe you are a MENSA member, so you must be sharp. But, please stop quoting Wikipedia as a credible source. Anybody can post anything on that site. and anybody can take down or change anything anybody else posted on Wikipedia. That is not a way to insure that the info is reliable. I gave up long ago trying to correct misstatements on Wikipedia regarding the history of Mexico, Quintana Roo and Cozumel, because my corrections were almost ALWAYS deleted by some yokel who replaced them with old-wives'-tales and mythical BS. Would you like your doctor to rely on info posted in Wikipedia instead of his medical journals and texts? Help me here on this one... please!

I like you DandyDon. I believe you are a MENSA member, so you must be sharp.
You know, I was active in Mensa for years until I started scuba in 2001, then decided I had a better reason to travel. I used to try to expose dirty politicians in the club, but so few cared, and the dues kept going up, up, and away. I once got a FB friend request from one I tried to have jailed for corruption..

But, please stop quoting Wikipedia as a credible source. Anybody can post anything on that site. and anybody can take down or change anything anybody else posted on Wikipedia. That is not a way to insure that the info is reliable.
Well, it's a convenient source when the information is not really important. For the latter on Cozumel, we all know to look for you. :)

I can understand why so many people are less than truthful about their health history on the medical questionnaire. I can comprehend the questions about epilepsy, diabetes etc, but back pain, headaches, sinusitis, motion sickness etc. most of us would end up grounded until medical clearance(possible kickbacks involved which requires another forum)is grante

To quote the PADI Medical form (emphasis by me)

The purpose of this Medical Questionnaire is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver training.
A positive response to a question does not necessarily disqualify you from diving.
A positive response means that there is a pre-existing condition that may affect your safety while diving and you must seek the advice of your physician prior to engaging in dive activities.

Anyone can download and complete a medical form before they travel, and if necessary get it signed by your own Dr. It's valid for 1 year

To clarify your examples

The wording states"

"headaches" - Recurring complicated migraine headaches or take medications to prevent them?

" sinusitis", Frequent colds, sinusitis or bronchitis?

"motion sickness" Frequent or severe suffering from motion sickness.

My favourite are those who lie badly - say no to smoking when they're over 45 (and are smoking outside the dive centre)

The information I have provided about my medical history is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I agree to accept responsibility for omissions regarding my failure to disclose any existing or past health condition.

I would be livid by such a demand/requirement and change dive ops immediately!

Of course you're free to choose not to fill this form in, just as the Dive Op's are free to turn away your Business

@Diving Dubai , I have read numerous anecdotes from complaint divers whom bring a signed form(within the 1 year requirement) from their physician, and dive ops who still require a visit from their local physician before you are allowed to dive. I think that it is this practice that has lead to so many divers checking 'no' to all the health history questions.

I don't need a form to tell me my general health and fitness to dive. I wouldn't be going on the dive trip in the first place if I didn't feel qualified to dive. I agree to accept responsibility for my self assessment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom