Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUT, if one stays in town, how can one do/can one do afternoon dives?

I can speak from diving last September with Tres Pelicanos; stayed at Casa Mexica in town. After the 2 morning dives they dropped me and another diver at the Money Bar for an hour or so, after which they picked us back up on the way to do the afternoon dives.

Richard.

I didn't read all the pages - anything in there about the FREE nitrox though?

Sorry you had a bad trip, Cozumel has so many GREAT valet dive ops, it's the only way to dive!

I've stayed in five places in Cozumel. Two hotels and three condos. I have never considered an AI. By far, my best stays have been in the condos. If I had known Casa Mexicana's breakfast was for sale to everyone, I would be a whole lot happier .

Cheap car rentals are offset by expensive insurance. No matter where we looked, it was about $50/day for renting with the insurance. It didn't matter the initial rate. You might save upfront by declining anything not absolutely required. But, I think they will try to get you on the back end with "damages"

I didn't read all the pages - anything in there about the FREE nitrox though?

Sorry you had a bad trip, Cozumel has so many GREAT valet dive ops, it's the only way to dive!
ProDive always offers free Nitrox.

The only downside was the terrible live music across the street at Thirsty Cougar two nights
Sounds like it is too late for this upcoming trip, but I'd encourage you to consider Suites Colonial for your next stay. It is the 3rd sister in the Casa Mexicana family chain. You get the same buffet breakfast, the same standards, but the hotel is as quiet as it gets. It is a block and a half away from Bahia on the pedestrian only street near the plaza. Typically, a few dollars less expensive per night than Bahia also. It is one of the best values in downtown San Miguel. I was just there over this past Xmas for 10 days for the third time. I'll put together another trip report soon.

Yes you can do afternoon dives when staying with Aldora (and then a little house reef dive when you return/before bed :). I’m not 110% sure if you can do them if you are not staying at the Villas but you most likely can/I don’t see why not as long as you were at the dock on-time for departure. Maybe somebody else here could confirm that? To be 100% certain you should email Matt or Jorge there for confirmation (office@aldoravilla.com). I have only personally done the afternoon dives while staying at the villas myself but again I doubt there would be any issues as long as you were not late.

After the morning dives they will drop you off in town or back at the villas, always been my choice of which, and you can then call the shop throughout the day to see the status of the afternoon dives and what time they will be leaving out. The villa has a dry erase board in the center courtyard area listing the times and who all exactly is signed up to go on the afternoon trip. Very convenient for us and we ourselves always sign-up/do the afternoon dives, love them.
Afternoon dives with Aldora are hit or miss. Morning dives leave from town at 7:30 AM and sometimes do not get back until 1:30. Long dives with 1:45' SI's take up a lot of time. Days when the sun sets early it is hard for them to get an afternoon two tank in. Not that they don't do it but it is not available every day and there needs to be enough people. A perfect day for me with Aldora is a morning two tank, take a nap then a twilight and night dive down south but there is not always enough people wanting to do that.

We are like snoweman. 1st stay (pre-diving) was the Occidental, then El Cantil, Aldora villas, Casa back in the hood and this just past Res.Reef.

Each had benefits but being so far from town made us really lazy on this last trip. Sure getting on the boat at 8am was nice but going out for dinner was a 45 minute affair if we bothered at all. -Damm traffic!!!

We are booked next year in a house 5 mins from the Aldora dive shop, around 5&10. No car needed so that's a plus and helps as the house wasn't in our budget with a car. Cheaper than the RR condo for this year. They doubled the cost for Xmass/Nyrs 2019/20! They had better reno the whole place if they want that kind of $. I should have taken pics of the underneath of the hot hub- :eek: legionnaires anyone?

San Miguel is a fun place to walk around (minus the main strip)

Great to know, thanks!! But no place for quick nap....:wink: And do other dive ops do this???
Dive Paradise has a fast boat option. It's a lot smaller than the slow boats, but we got from the dock to devil's throat in under an hour. There's no shade, but plenty of wind from going that fast. I don't think I'd want to spend all week on DP's fast boat, but it is the right move for a site that's kind of far from the dock.

Appreciate the detailed review. While for dive-focused visitors in-town vs. A.I. may be debatable, if I ever go back with my wife, little kiddo and possibly mother-in-law, I imagine we'll do A.I. On-site kid clubs, all the food budget covered, nice grounds with a beach, there are advantages for some family situations.

When I went solo as a diver? Nah, stayed in town.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom