Camp & Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Oct '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit class ??? Actually, it would be a great opportunity to knock out a couple of the requirements for the advanced card. Can't do the navigation, but deep & night are doable.

Altitude as well. :wink:

I'm interested... I'll give a firm answer in a few days.

Is the plan to dive Saturday or Sunday, or both?

You can dive both days if you wish

Excellent. I'll take care of final coordination with the family, and make some reservations.

Edit: Just paid for the trip. See you guys there!

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I am out for this one. Hurricane Ike is going to cost me more than I initially expected. I am not going to start ranting about insurance because I am just thankful that I am lucky enough to have a house and power while many have neither.

I am interested and will make this dive eventually. Have fun and dive safe!

Does somebody have directions they can either email me or PM to me, or do I need to call the shop? I know how to get to Abilene, from there it gets tricky! :)

The silo is 60’ in diameter and everything from the dressing areas to the electric gear winch, lighting systems and the actual dive area is 50-70’ underground.

Strikes fear into my very claustrophobic heart...

For most people (in my observations) the advanced part of the dive is not so much the cold, but the disorienting nature of diving in a dark, round tube with very few features.

Double-dog ditto.

QUOTE "The silo is 60’ in diameter and everything from the dressing areas to the electric gear winch, lighting systems and the actual dive area is 50-70’ underground."

Electric winch? For shuttling gear to and from the platform? Or to and from the surface?
mmmm.....doubles?

We have reached the moment of truth for this little adventure. So far, allot of people have said they are going, but only 3 people have actually paid. If you are going on this trip, please contact Oak Hill Scuba to make payment. The number for the shop is 512-892-4900.

If I do not have at least 12 people paid by close of business Thursday, I will not lease the place and the trip will be canceled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom