California Diving Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to cut back on the shoes go to Pacific Wilderness or http://shop.navyseals.com/dive-boots-48.html and get a pair of anphib boots

27_detail.jpg

They will make cool conversation peices after the dive over at Luau Larry's. :wink:

Link no workie.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off...clever idea using tank straps on top of the Stanleys...I think John and I will probably add that to ours. I have an aluminum extrusion at the back to keep the tank from sliding, so I think I'll only need one strap. For those boats that do not have room for the box, I use a large mesh bag and/or bucket.

A word of advice on the Stanleys: be careful if you store your wing inside it as you can pinch it in several ways. Obvious pinch spot are the hinges. Not so obvious are the stop pins on the steel handle...as you pull out or push in the handle, these pins can trap a fold against the plastic runners. I put a couple of weird looking pinch-tears on my wing and it took me a while to match them up to those pins.

As for CDC, I spoke with Lorenzo the last weekend he was officially open and he was transfering his business to join up with the Ventura operation. He's also currently studying for his commercial diver ticket. One of his tasks at Ventura will be to improve the food service on the Raptor =)

A word of advice on the Stanleys: be careful if you store your wing inside it as you can pinch it in several ways. Obvious pinch spot are the hinges. Not so obvious are the stop pins on the steel handle...as you pull out or push in the handle, these pins can trap a fold against the plastic runners. I put a couple of weird looking pinch-tears on my wing and it took me a while to match them up to those pins.

Good point. I always put my wing in first and fins last to avoid the pinching.

TeamCasa's photos inspired me to make own version:

Catalina08_043.jpg

Catalina08_045.jpg

Catalina08_044.jpg

Oh. I learned the hard way that it really DOES make a difference if you put your lead over the axle or not.

Sooo.. I don't have machining facilities at home... where can I get the parts for that? Although I need to stack thigns so maybe I just need to bottom parts.

I still put my wing in last (dont want anything on top of it), but I make sure that it is clear of the pinch points, or "pad" it with a towel.

Now I'm off to buy some tank straps...

To answer your question, yes they went out of business.

Hello all.

Thank you JMDiver for posting the info.

The Santa Clarita store is closed. Had nothing to do with the Dive Box sales, as that is a separate business from the retail store.

During the economic slump, I had to make a decision whether it was worth it to stay in business in Santa Clarita or cash in my chips and team-up with a well established operation near the water.

LP shows the Dive Box is discontinued because I don't sell to them anymore. I stopped selling wholesale to dive shops, because it was not possible to make a profit that way. I wish I could, but it is not feasible.

For those who commented on the Dive Box being overpriced, I respect your opinion, but keep in mind the following:

All petroleum based products (plastic) have tripled in cost over the last few years. The Dive Boxes are made of high quality components and they are made here in Southern California. I chose to keep the product made in the USA and not mass produced in China. The box is constructed of industrial grade linear polyethylene (the same stuff they make those giant water reservoirs out of), very different than the thin injection molded Stanley boxes. The axle, hinges and all the screws used are Stainless Steel, very different than the "toothpick" sized hinges on the Stanley box. The handle is and almost solid, 1/8" wall aluminum and the latches are made of marine grade elastomer rubber (the same ones used on luxury yachts).

I can tell you that of the several thousand boxes that I have sold over the last 5-6 years, I have not had a single one returned or have heard of one breaking or rusting. I know people who bought the original ones that I made 5-6 years ago and they are still being used and are rust-free. They are being used in rough environments by Fire/Rescue and police departments in several states. You get what you pay for. Some people buy Toyota and some buy Lexus. It's a matter of personal preference.

Nothing wrong with the Stanley boxes, if that's your preference. I owned one myself before I made the Dive Box. I liked the concept of using a hard box with wheels, but it was missing a lot of features that I though would be cool to have for myself. The weight balanced tank well for one. You can strap a tank on top of a Stanley box, but all the weight will be put on your arms as you pull the box. The Dive Box earned it's US Patent, partly because it used weight distribution to make it easier to pull the load, like an appliance dolly. I also thought it would be cool to have a drain plug so I wouldn't have to struggle to dump over 5000 cubic inches of water when I was done rinsing. I also wanted the quality to protect my thousands of dollars worth of dive gear.

I had a guy talk to me at the Long Beach Scuba Show and he told me a story. He said: I bought one of your Dive Boxes a couple of years ago and I want to tell you a story. A couple of months ago I was in a really bad car accident on the 5 freeway. I had your Dive Box in the back of my truck with all my dive gear in it, when I got cut off by another driver and rolled my truck. The Dive Box went flying across the freeway at 50 miles an hour and when I recovered it, the latches were still closed and all my gear was intact.

I don't take offense to people's opinions, but let's be fair and compare apples to apples. If you are going to make the comparison, compare it to a Pelican Box or Storm Case, which by the way sell for over $300.

I do still manufacture and sell them on my website, or they can be picked up locally in Ventura.

Last edited:
Some people buy Toyota and some buy Lexus.

Umm... a lexus is a toyota, probably not the best analogy but I'm sure everyone understands what you're getting at.

You would probably sell more boxes if they fit tanks that are used by California divers, I don't think I know anyone that dives AL80's or LP72's. One major part of creating a marketable product is by incorporating reliability with affordability. You can create the most rugged box imaginable but if 90% of the divers out there can't fit their tanks in it and/or justify paying up the @ss for a plastic box on wheels you've eliminated 90% of your prospective customers and probably cut your profit by a lot more.

Billy

few things that eliminated me as a customer

1.) Cost ($300 plus to get one, delivered. more if I want soft wheels)

2.) Size/weight. The thing is pretty heavy, before you fill it with gear. You also have to have a truck or large SUV to carry one. Don't bet on getting this into your Toyota (or your Lexus :D ) unless it's a SUV.

3.) to big to haul to the beach to use.

4.) if I left it on the beach during a dive it just says "Steal me"

5.) too big to haul on a boat for a dive.

6.) airlines don't like it. (too big, heavy, which creates overage fees)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom