Buying scuba gear in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few points on that question first!

"nice and warm most of the year" - The summer months are far above warm in Brisbane. Try hot, uncomfortable and humid!

"Cheapish property prices" - prices in Brisbane do keep going up and up =(

Apart from those, Brisbane is an amazing city, that's only jsut starting to come into its own. For cheapish prices and close to diving to where the boats launch from, you're probably better off on the Eastern or Northern side of brisbane. Note though that this isn't 'beach' along here, as much as mud flats.

If beaches interest you, you're better off looking at the Gold Coast (very touristy) or the Sunshine Coast (touristy, but not as much).

PM me if you want some more opinions!

I am a civil engineer
My favourite oxymoron :) (I'm mechanical)

You might want to consider Perth as well. It has a mediterranean climate and is hot (but not humid in summer). Due to the resources boom it is the fastest growing city in Australia. People with engineering backgrounds are in demand and salaries are probably the highest in Australia. The downside is that real estate costs are going up rapidly because of a housing shortage created by the number of people moving there for work.

Nice idea gudge but I am doing well convincing her indoors to settle in Brisbane (she has friends & family in Sydney). I think Perth would be pushing my luck!

To be honest I think we are the luckiest here in Sydney, water is not too cold (about 15-16° at the moment), lots of shore diving as well as boat and wreck dives, and when you have hols head north for a bit of warm water tropical stuff.

So If you came to Sydney you could earn brownie points with the missus, save money by doing shore dives then take a nice trip north for a holiday.

Interesting theory. I must admit I do like the idea of having easy and inexpensive shore diving on the door step. I am planning to spend some time in both locations to get a feel for the place before I settle down anyway, to make sure I can handle the queensland humidity for a start.

Yep, dave at subaquatic has some good stuff... the lights are great.
I just wish he'd give me a SS scooter, but i'd settle for a free salvo 21w :wink:

Chriso at divetub also provides top service, i've bought from both these guys and had good experiences

:blinking: I have to agree with Fish....Sydney is brilliant place if you want to dive.... multiple shore dive sites make it possible to dive most weekends. In the summer you may be able to dive in light suits and drop the weights. In winter 5 mil allows lots of protection. Trips to South West Rocks... for Fishrock cave dive, Coffs Harbour for the Solitary Islands, Jervis Bay for the seals..... heaps of affordable options and an hour or so by plane to tropical diving on the reef.

I know I couldn't handle the heat in Queensland even Sydney can get hot for this displaced Canuck!

Seems like an obvious win win situation.... close to rellies for wife... heaps of cheap options for diving and right now the house prices in Sydney area are a bit depressed compared to other locations..... Wife's rellies can watch for places and prices for you...:rofl3: I might just be a bit biased......but it seems to me Sydney is a great choice:blinking:

Dive gear is pretty expensive in Australia from what I know. I work at Pro Dive in Brisbane and we take a minimum of 3 trips out a weekend. We go down to the Gold Coast, Cook Island, Flinders, all around Moreton, and also to the HMAS Brisbane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom