Buying scuba gear in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive gear is pretty expensive in Australia from what I know. I work at Pro Dive in Brisbane and we take a minimum of 3 trips out a weekend. We go down to the Gold Coast, Cook Island, Flinders, all around Moreton, and also to the HMAS Brisbane.

Well, seeing you're plugging the store you work at on a public forum, I'm going to do the opposite... The above mentioned store has to be the most expensive in Brisbane, both for buying gear, and doing trips/courses. It's one of those places where you walk in, and the only thing they care about is how much money you're going to spend. If you enjoy diving with a bunch of muppets, then they're you best bet, but IMHO, there's far better LDS's, both around Brisbane, and on the nearby coasts.

The South Pacific Peso looks set to drop even more. Think you might be better off bringing your gear.

I strongly suspect housing at Surfers Paradise is about to tumble in price and that'd put you an hour by freeway to Brissy.

With Qld changing it's water distribution policies, there'll likely be plenty of work for a civil engineer there as well.

Well I'm biased of course but just love living in Scarborough on the Northern end of Redcliffe peninsula, There are great beaches and marina, At least 5 of the main dive boats leave from here to numerous detinations every weekend, the commute to Brisbane is 30 mins and you can get a train 10 minutes away, The Sunshine coast is only 3/4 hour north and the gold coast is a safe distance away, because we have ocean both sides of us ,it's cooler in summer and warmer in winter, Brisbanits come up here for day trips on the weekends to visit the weekend markets or one of many festivals held here all year round and so of course real estate prices are on the rise.You can buy a canal home for less than Aud $800,000 and spend the rest on a big yacht.

Well I'm biased of course but just love living in Scarborough on the Northern end of Redcliffe peninsula, There are great beaches and marina, At least 5 of the main dive boats leave from here to numerous detinations every weekend, the commute to Brisbane is 30 mins and you can get a train 10 minutes away, The Sunshine coast is only 3/4 hour north and the gold coast is a safe distance away, because we have ocean both sides of us ,it's cooler in summer and warmer in winter, Brisbanits come up here for day trips on the weekends to visit the weekend markets or one of many festivals held here all year round and so of course real estate prices are on the rise.

Any shore diving? One thing up north I have heard there is not much shore diving, is this the case?

You can buy a canal home for less than Aud $800,000 and spend the rest on a big yacht.

Wow, pocket change really :wink:

I live up north in Cairns, and althogh the wter is always warm and you can dive all year rond it has its draw back. No shore diving to speak of and very hot climate. May be too harsh.
But coming from UK anywhere wil be warm for you! I love south cost of Victoria as there ar hundreds of sites - beach, wreck, pier etc all easily accessable for free. But moving to NSW would be better for climate.
As for the ger I agre with the comment above. The AUD compared to the GBD works for us but against you. Dont buy here.
Its far cheper for us to buy online from UK or USA. Save heaps. Doesnt help you unfortunately.

Kev

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Live aboard and Day trips to suit all levels

Cairns Discount Dive Trips - Australia Diving - Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef

Too frickin cold here in Vic, I only dive in Feb usually - although I will make an exception as soon as the ex-HMAS Camberra is opened to diving!

In good news, we're $0.93 to the greenback now :)

Too frickin cold here in Vic, I only dive in Feb usually - although I will make an exception as soon as the ex-HMAS Camberra is opened to diving!

In good news, we're $0.93 to the greenback now :)

Drysuit! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom