Buying scuba gear in Oz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyjampot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all.

Have just got my visa so the countdown begins. I need to renew some of my kit, in particular my BCD, and I am in 2 minds whether to load up in the uk, using dealers that I know, or to wait until I get over there to save a little on shipping costs.
I understand that scuba can be a bit more expensive in Oz so this may outweigh the additional costs to bring the stuff over. Can anyone recommend some good scuba dealers, in particular in Brisbane, or a good online store?
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Gaz

Oh and while I am on the subject, any advice on diving in Brisbane would also be welcome. I had been set on Sydney initially but I think that if I am moving half way around the world I might as well live where the water is nice and warm :)

Visa... i dont think we are letting any more poms into the country until next year!

gear down here is very expensive in comparrison to the rest of the world for some reason so if you have a drysuit or planning on getting one, bring it with you!

for zeagle, i would strongly suggest you look at www.divetub.com.au chris has a excellent reputation amoung the local divers and although he is based in perth ive had no issues dealing with him over the many years. he's one of the rare ones-he really loves his product. oh, he is in bali at the moment and i think he will be back next week but i assume he is checking his emails

you cant get better tank prices anywhere than DiveImports.com (Powered by CubeCart) its cheaper getting one of these delivered to your door than buying locally unless you get a lds to throw in a big fill card to make it wort your while

i dont have any experience with brissy dealer except for the Blackwell brothers at DiveDiveDive, Dive Dive Dive: Welcome Page all nice guys, a bit techie but they have a good rep also

goodluck!

Gudge!!!! :happywave:

brissy diving..... only thing i can recommend is a 30min drive out of brissy then a ferry to North Stradbroke Island - very nice diving

Thanks people, really appreciate the advice. And no I won't be there until next year :)

Hopefully the exchange rate will be better by then - we just crashed from US$0.96 to US$0.78 in 2 months, although it's bounced back a little since then (US$0.84 today)

But if it stays where it is, you'll be paying a small fortune for any dive gear that comes out of the US by the time you get here

Hey Gaz,

Yep, gear is a little dearer here than in Europe/UK. You can still find a bargain though. Deep Scuba is one of those places packed full of gear, that always seems to be on sale. They have an online store too if you wanted to check out prices. I've dealt with pretty much every dive store here in Brissy, and these guys seem to be the cheapest.

As Gudge and Almity mentioned, you really can't go past Dive Tub for anything decent though.

And as for diving, there's plenty of great spots around here. All require a boat to get to, but by far worth it. The diving around Moreton Is is spectacular, there's a live-a-board (Big Cat Reality), and a few day boats (try Googling Redcliffe Dive and Nautilus Dive Toowong). Stradbroke Island is also nice, especially if you want to spend a weekend out there. The HMAS Brisbane off the Sunshine Coast (1.5 hrs north) is a great wreck (try Sunreef), and everyone's favorite, Byron Bay, is only an hour and a half south (try Sundive).

Hope that's some help. Any more questions?

Ryan.

Not sure about shops in Brisbane but I second Gudge's recommendation of Peter at Scuba Doctor, he is fairly local to me and is very helpful and honest with advice. Prices are good there too. I am not sure what scuba gear costs in the UK though, Australia is pretty expensive in comparison to the US I have noticed... but not sure about the UK.

P.S. If you have tanks, don't bother bringing them over. I've heard that if you don't have Aust stamps it is hard to get them fille.d

Hey Gaz,

Yep, gear is a little dearer here than in Europe/UK. You can still find a bargain though. Deep Scuba is one of those places packed full of gear, that always seems to be on sale. They have an online store too if you wanted to check out prices. I've dealt with pretty much every dive store here in Brissy, and these guys seem to be the cheapest.

As Gudge and Almity mentioned, you really can't go past Dive Tub for anything decent though.

And as for diving, there's plenty of great spots around here. All require a boat to get to, but by far worth it. The diving around Moreton Is is spectacular, there's a live-a-board (Big Cat Reality), and a few day boats (try Googling Redcliffe Dive and Nautilus Dive Toowong). Stradbroke Island is also nice, especially if you want to spend a weekend out there. The HMAS Brisbane off the Sunshine Coast (1.5 hrs north) is a great wreck (try Sunreef), and everyone's favorite, Byron Bay, is only an hour and a half south (try Sundive).

Hope that's some help. Any more questions?

Ryan.
Thanks again for the advice. I do have one more question. I know his is a scuba forum but it is related. I can pretty much settle where I like when I get to Oz within reason (as long as the missus agrees of course). I would like to be within an hour or so of a main city for work (I am a civil engineer) and I figure Brisbane will be nice and warm most of the year. Obviously I am also attracted by the year round diving. Where would be a good place to look at settling to give me reasonable access to the city and to dive sites? Cheapish property prices would be a bonus.
Any advice will be warmly received.

Thanks

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom