Buying Online V. Buying at a Local Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buy from 3 local dive shops 20 miles is the close one, I buy on line, I buy some used stuff, Dive shops have it hard but as My pal Barry from ;
www.divesales.com
Says,
Competiton is a good thing! it keeps them in line,and backs up his warrantys and has his own if he cant!
Man I just got a used cold water deco 1st stage reg $200 from my LDS re done, could of got it brand new on line warranty and all for $35 more inc ship charge.
But they have been good to me on fills,and service rush,and tips and tricks, so I try to stop in and spend money even if I dont get a kiss!
Brad

fsik:
But what if my LDS (by distance) IS LeisurePro? (And it is...) Is it the same sort of scuba-karma hit if I order from ScubaToys rather than them?

--fsik
Pain in the arse since 1974

leisure pro is NOT a LDS..they do not have a compressor aqnd do not offer training..that is why the manufacturers warrenties do not apply to anything they sell..

Do the research, inform yourself on both sides of the issue, then vote with your wallet.

The industry will change, it'll just take time.

You as a customer are not responsibile for funding the shop owner's next dive trip, remember that.

Think about it... why are so many dive shops into dive travel now? Because if they book a certain number of paying customers (10 or so usually), someone gets to go for free.

You can book nearly all of these trips yourself... and if you're like me, who wants to go diving with the shop cronies anyway?

-Brandon.

Since this tired old thing has been revived, I'd like to attempt a hijack here and ask about the advantages vs. disadvantages of diving with shop cronies? I've never done it because I think I would feel too constrained and watched by instructors.

What's the advantage?

Brace yourselves, I'm going to say something nice about my LDS.

One of the advantages of diving with shop cronies here, is that they have a better handle on local diving resources than most divers would on their own.

When we dive in Valdez, for example, the shop owner has a partnership with one of the oil spill response companies, and they let us use their warehouse / cove for diving. When the weather is cold and nasty, having that warm warehouse to go back to is a big plus. It wouldn't be available to me when diving without them.

For ice diving, they seem to have several locations already set up and ready to go, with tents, heaters, and other critter comforts on site.

But... like you said, I think the biggest disadvantage is feeling constrained or watched over by the instructors. I'm not a fan of the Padi Police. They taught me the basics, and I do some things differently because I believe it to be a better/safer way of doing it. That is not their concern, unless I'm currently in a class with them.

-Brandon.

If you don't support the local dive center it will go away. This is your place to socialize, learn, develope new relationships, see, touch, smell gear, attend class, get air fills, and most importantly....customer service from someone that really cares about YOU!

I do support my local LDS. I preparing for another trip and bought some stuff from my LDS that the price was very close on and some from Larry at ScubaToys that my LDS could not get close to. My LDS knows this and thinks it's fine, they understand that some of their prices are high but I'll always check them first.

Blue Dolphin Scuba:
If you don't support the local dive center it will go away. This is your place to socialize, learn, develope new relationships, see, touch, smell gear, attend class, get air fills, and most importantly....customer service from someone that really cares about YOU!

Some may go away. Others will adapt and prosper.

Your service prices look fairly reasonable except for that $50 Hydro and $35 BC service.

Oh boy, here I go again. The only thing that will save many LDS's now is (ironically) the internet. FACT. People who bash internet shops on the internet make me giggle.

oly5050user:
leisure pro is NOT a LDS..they do not have a compressor aqnd do not offer training..that is why the manufacturers warrenties do not apply to anything they sell..

I will encourage you to make sure that your statement is 100% correct when making such a broad statement.

Leisure-Pro is an authorized distributor for some of the products that it sells.

That is why I highlighted the word "anything".

Also, I didn't know one of the requirements of being an "LDS" was having a compressor!

Could you possibly give us the universal requirements for being a local dive shop?

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom