Buying Online V. Buying at a Local Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I know the dive shop I belong to is great! Everyone there is willing to answer all your questions and are very helpful. I have also been to a couiple of other shops, like one in PA and so on. I have had all great experiences with them. I know I havn't really been exposed to a bunch though so I didn't realize there were ones out there where the owners/staff didn't seem to care.
But the thing that makes me mad is when you have divers who buy gear online and complain about it, or don't know what to get or have questions about it. Thats what a local dive shop is for. They are there to tell you personally to answer your questions. They can tell you what they think about a certain product. Or the difference between equipment. Well I can say the ones I know of yes they want a sale that very important to them, but they are also very imformative and honest about differnt things. Also if someone personally doesn't know about one thing inparticular they can refer you to someone that does.
But dive shops do 2 things that online just cant give you and everyone has to agree on this. 1) annual servive on your gear (regs, BC, and tanks need VIP, and Hydro) those are all things that cant be done online. They have to be taken to a person to do that. 2) again I will say air fills, you cant buy them online and have your tanks filled right there where you are.

scuba_aqua_girl:

But dive shops do 2 things that online just cant give you and everyone has to agree on this. 1) annual servive on your gear (regs, BC, and tanks need VIP, and Hydro) those are all things that cant be done online. They have to be taken to a person to do that. 2) again I will say air fills, you cant buy them online and have your tanks filled right there where you are.

I don't have to agree!

I e-mailed Larry (Scubatoys) the other day, asking about service on the regulator I bought from him last year. He responded, letting me know that the charge was $39.95, parts included. My local shop wants closer to $100, and they're not a Zeagle dealer.

VIP and Hydro? I can have a fire safety shop take care of that... and unless a picky LDS is filling the tanks, I don't -need- a VIP inspection.

As for tank fills... I have access to a great compressor system at work, have several friends with compressors, and can always have my tanks filled at my diving destination.

Still not a black and white issue, lots of us have found other ways to get what we need if our LDS isn't as friendly to us as yours is!

-Brandon.

Nuff Said!

C-Dawg

I've seen some internet shops send out tanks filled to 14.7 psi.

I once had a LDS give me an airfill that wasn't. I gave them a tank with 1000 psi in it, got back a tank with 1500 psi in it. Not much of a fill.

Al Mialkovsky:
I've seen some internet shops send out tanks filled to 14.7 psi.

Tanks are supposed to be mailed with the valves off.....I ordered the PST 80 not too long ago and received it with the valve on and air inside.....I don't know how much, but I knew they were not suppose to ship it that way.....

No matter though...it showed up in great condition and I love it !! :D

Oh yay! Yet another LDS vs. Internet thread! I'm so excited.

Divmstr223:
Tanks are supposed to be mailed with the valves off.....I ordered the PST 80 not too long ago and received it with the valve on and air inside.....I don't know how much, but I knew they were not suppose to ship it that way.....

No matter though...it showed up in great condition and I love it !! :D

Tanks DO NOT have to have valves removed as long as the pressure is less than 40 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom