Do any shops buy used gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I can’t find a great answer elsewhere… do any shops buy used gear? SoCal in particular. Not looking for top dollar, simply need to unload my stuff quickly (in one stop) before I relocate overseas. Thanks for any advice.

I'm not located in Cali, but some shops buy used gear.

You could also try selling gear here (Classifieds), on Ebay, Craigslist, or Facebook Market.

You’ll have to ask your local shops. I don’t know any that do. At the most they might pass along word someone is selling something, but that’s the most I’ve seen.

Thanks! Trying to avoid the usual suspects you mention but maybe in the end that’s better.
I'm not located in Cali, but some shops buy used gear.

You could also try selling gear here (Classifieds), on Ebay, Craigslist, or Facebook Market.

Thanks. I called a nearby shop and they were not that keen. Appreciate the reply
You’ll have to ask your local shops. I don’t know if any that do. At the most they might pass along word someone is selling something, but that’s the most I’ve seen.

What do you have? You need a certain number of posts before you can list on classified here so might as well get started :)

But if you really want to do it in one lot, you are probably not going to like the price.

I think Hollywood divers might? I know they sometimes sell used gear, so I would assume it is either their rental stock, or they buy used gear as well. Selling any tanks?

Also check with instructors, the ones that do freelance work. I sold used gear when I upgraded to a local instructor that used it with his private classes.

If you're looking to get rid of gear quick, it might just be worth listing it anyway, and just listing it at prices that will get it to move quickly. Chances are, most dive shops would offer "pennies" for your gear, so little you might as well put it on the curb with a free sign.

If you list it instead, maybe you'll make another diver happy with some crazy good deals, and cut out the middle-man dive shop. For example:

• $40 to $80 for aluminum tanks
  • $80 to $125 for steel tanks
  • $20 for common BCDs. $100 for high-end / specialty BCDs.
  • $15 for fins. Maybe $30 to $50 if they're highly sought after fins.
  • $0 (free) to $20 for wetsuits
  • $?? regulators & computer - it depends on what you have.

Even with these bottom $ prices I'm listing here, expect scuba-shops to offer half that or less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom