US Dollar and Buying from Overseas Suppliers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A close friend and longtime OTS user “in recovery," recently purchased a complete Poseidon Atmosphere Full Face Mask, which also included the MK3 Xstream first stage, having borrowed one of mine on a few occasions — though had always balked at the ridiculous US prices, which had ranged anywhere from between 1700.00 to 2300.00 for both first stage and mask, which also included an integral Jetstream PP second stage.

We tested the gear upon its arrival and everything was as described and up to specifications; and only slightly tweaked the cracking effort, so that it breathed a bit more like mine.

His purchase price had been 699 euros, new, from a German dealer, out of Hamburg, which amounted to around US 738.00 — less than the ScubaPro FFM at 838.00, which is sold with neither first or second stages; less than the OTS Guardian, also without a first, at 900.00 (and whose proprietary second stage work-of-breathing absolutely sucks in any current); less than the Interspiro "AGA" Divator, which doesn't deign to include its "proprietary" LP hose (at 99.00, thank you very much) for 975.00; or a first stage, for that matter -- and easily less than a third of what most US dealers are currently charging for the Atmosphere.

The MK3 first stage, itself, currently retails for about 600.00.

He also could not resist a fancy, schmancy Poseidon Blackline Gewichtsgürtel (weight-belt), for 19,90 euros (US 21.33), from the same vendor, which currently retails in the US, for a large-sized version, between 120.00 and 145.00.

Even with DHL International shipping, that Vollgesichtsmaske und Gewichtsgürtel (heh, heh, heh) came to just over 800.00 — somewhere in the ballpark of what I had originally paid some twenty years ago for the FFM -- without either VAT or increasingly usurious CA sales taxes.

For a just a bit more planning and a bit of a "Macintosh Workout," he managed to save a maximum of 1635.00, not including taxes (just add about 207.00 in CA), on that single order, had those items been purchased domestically . . .

Here is what arrived, last week, at prices soooo low, they must be crazy!

Attachments

• 70F19B8E-3F5F-46FA-B7A9-EE73134EC5F1.jpeg
    70F19B8E-3F5F-46FA-B7A9-EE73134EC5F1.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 60
Actually, the best time was in the last two weeks of September.

• Sep 28, 2022 ---Just pulled the trigger on a Scubapro MK19 EVO / G260 + FREE Octopus R195 - First Stage: Yoke for $396.69 euro or $381.84 USD at today's exchange rate! Even with the $64 over sea's shipping, it was an incredible deal. Had a nice scent of that factor smell when I opened the box, and the mouthpiece had a hint of olive oil taste.

I think that the order had been placed somewhere in early December -- and at a poorer exchange rate or not, was still spectacularly lower than the price in the US -- especially, had it been purchased in California.

He could take in two or even three multi-day live-aboards at Channel Islands Dive Adventures (the successors to Truth Aquatics) to break that fancy mask in, with what was saved . . .

Not to hijack but I'm looking to purchase a MK2 evo S270 combo - if anyone could hint at preferred vendors it would be appreciated! Can't justify $500+ for a piston 1st stage and simple 2nd.

Not to hijack but I'm looking to purchase a MK2 evo S270 combo - if anyone could hint at preferred vendors it would be appreciated! Can't justify $500+ for a piston 1st stage and simple 2nd.
This is the best price on Ebay from Italy:
340 USD, plus 46 USD shipping to USA, hence the total would be 386 USD.
Here in Italy shipping is free, and we have an additional 20% discount, so if I order here I will pay just 251.82 eur using the promo code: SALDIGEN23

how lo

• Sep 28, 2022 ---Just pulled the trigger on a Scubapro MK19 EVO / G260 + FREE Octopus R195 - First Stage: Yoke for $396.69 euro or $381.84 USD at today's exchange rate! Even with the $64 over sea's shipping, it was an incredible deal. Had a nice scent of that factor smell when I opened the box, and the mouthpiece had a hint of olive oil taste.
how long did it take to ship from spain to the US?

It took about three or four weeks. This was mainly due to this shop being back ordered on the SP MK19. They provided me with great communication through email and the items shipped were packed very well for international shipping. Great shop to do business with.

Cheers, Ric

I’ve purchased several ScubaPro items from Italy at substantial discounts. These were all purchased from a SP authorized dealer. In addition, I have visited with ScubaPro before and after my purchases. The things to know are that you must retain your invoices/receipts for a warranty that is valid in the US. You will not be able to register your products for the warranty on the SP website as the S/N is recognized as non-US. The only thing that you really give up is not being able to participate in the ScubaPro “Parts for Life” program. Additionally, SP works thru a dealer model and you should be able to get warranty service at any authorized dealer/service center in the US.

I bought one device from Amazon for $75.37, tax included. The supplier had only one piece in stock, so I ordered the 2nd one directly from manufacturer in Taiwan. They charged me $40 plus $25 DHL shipping, plus 3% credit card payment charge, $66.95 total. It is supposed to arrive today. If everything is fine, I've saved $8.42, i e 11.2%! :)

Back
Top Bottom