Buying my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sagi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there good people
I'm looking to buy my first breathing system and i'm debating about my options. since I'm a student i'm probably going to buy used gear. The 2 companies that has service centers in my country are Scubapro and Mares.

Right now I'm considering Scubapro mk17/mk25 with c370 and r095.

Most of my dives are in the east mediterranean and little bit red sea.

I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions.

Thabk you guys :)

If you can swing it look into the Mk19 and the G260....or Mk25/G260. Otherwise I have heard good things about the c370

Jeah mk17, mk19 with g260 and r195 is a good choice.

Right now I'm considering Scubapro mk17/mk25 with c370 and r095.

1. MK25/c370

2. MK17/c370 (this is better if you are diving in an area with lots of soft sand since it is sealed but it probably won't matter much)

Octo: R195, forget about the R095.

Obviously, forget about Mares anything.

1. MK25/c370

2. MK17/c370 (this is better if you are diving in an area with lots of soft sand since it is sealed but it probably won't matter much)

Octo: R195, forget about the R095.

Obviously, forget about Mares anything.

Why forget about mares?

the east-med has a lot of particels in the water most of the time, so if there's one cheaper than those 2 but still sealed it'll be better.

Also, why forget about the 095 as an octo?

Why forget about mares?
Crap compared with SP, not even close. It is like comparing Fiat with Mercedes.

the east-med has a lot of particels in the water most of the time, so if there's one cheaper than those 2 but still sealed it'll be better.
SP doesn't have a less expensive combination than the MK17/C370 that is sealed. As I have said, it isn't a big deal, just don't drop your first stage in the sand dunes. I dive in Libya and we have lots of fine sand and I use the MK25 without any issues so far. My concern is always with careless divers or students.

Also, why forget about the 095 as an octo?
Because it is a very low grade low performance octo. The R195 at least has a venturi adjustment that compensates for being unbalanced. In an emergency where somebody is OOA (out of air), the person who is OOA is going to be very excited and will need a good performing regulator not a low end.

Some good options!

I believe @lexvil really likes the C370 (I just got one, but haven't dove it, something about frozen water), and the MK-11/17/19 is a great option in my humble opinion. The sealed aspect of the 17/19 makes for some great "lazy" care in regard to rinsing/soaking. I dove pistons back in the day, but prefer sealed diaphragm regulators for the cold I dive in as well as the tolerance for care.

I am in the camp of two of the same second stages..... A pair of C370 would be nice.

A pair of C370 would be nice.

Yes, exactly. Surprisingly, the C370 isn't that much more expensive than the R195. I use it in our training equipment fleet and I tried it myself and it is excellent and durable.

Why forget about mares?
Crap compared with SP, not even close. It is like comparing Fiat with Mercedes.
The only crap is what Burhan is slinging. Mares makes excellent, reliable regs. In particular many of us feel their second stages, which require no in-water adjustments, are a real improvement over traditional designs.

No company is perfect, for example they occasionally introduce gimmicky "improvements". But stick to their core offerings and you'll be fine. For used gear, look for 15 (budget) or 22, 52 or 72 first stages and Abyss (all metal, premium), Prestige/Rover, or Dual seconds. Basic info on all of the options can be seen on this thread: Guide to Mares regulators from 2000-2020

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom