Buying My First Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too.

If there was a reg that might "limit" recreational diving, ironically it could be your MK25/S600, as that combination has a checkered reputation in extremely cold water.

Good point... our water is rarely colder than 48F, and I have no intention of diving much colder. True, it's not the best reg if you plan to dive very cold water. My MK17 G250V is better, but that said I do perfer to dive the MK25 S600's.

Last edited:
From research and DMs I've stayed in touch with I am going with the Scubapro MK25/A700, but what else is required to complete the reg setup???
You have received feedback on the hoses, low pressure (for your two second stages, and the inflator) and high pressure (for the SPG), as well as comment on SPGs vs consoles. One thing to add - hose lengths are not absolutely standard, even if there is some consistency for single tank diving rigs. I would make certain that you know what lengths you want for YOUR rig. For example, do you plan to use a simple SPG on a (shorter) high pressure hose, that is clipped to a waist D-ring with a medium (my preference, rather than large) bolt snap? Do you plan to go with a console that may involve a somewhat longer HP hose? I use both, although my personal preference is a SPG only, with a wrist computer for depth, and a wrist compass for navigation. For your second stages, how do you plan to configure them - e.g. a longer primary second stage hose along with a shorter, bungeed necklace alternate second stage, or a more traditional set-up? I am not trying to complicate your decision-making, but these are things to think about before buying your reg and hoses.
beckerman:
In your guy's opinion am I doing this right, buying one top of the line piece at a time as I can afford them?
There is nothing wrong with the approach. It is your money, spend it according to what makes you feel most comfortable. What you have selected IS a top line brand and model - very good equipment. You have received some diversity in the responses. I personally tend to agree more with Herman, and would favor buying a regulator that is more 'mid-line'. You will get more than adequate performance, at a more reasonable price, that might leave some $$$ for the next purchase - presumably a BCD unit of some type. But, it is probably worth noting that Herman is a very experienced 'vintage' diver, and quite skilled in working on equipment, and therefore has the benefit of a perspective in which 'mid-line' gear (and older gear) is more than adequate (and safe) for almost all diving situations, and the purchase of used gear is common, and also perfectly safe.

One other thought, that might help SB'ers to help you. Your profile doesn't provide much information about your location, nor do we understand where you anticipate diving now and in the foreseeable future, nor is it clear whether you plan to buy everyhting on-line, or have a LDS available to work with. So, you might consider updating the profile. This is not an attempt to invade your privacy, rather a suggestion that having a bit more information might be useful to responders.

If you currently live in a warm water location, have no plans to move in the foreseeable future, plan to do a lot of recreational diving in the 40-100' range, you will probably find that a lot of modestly priced, mid-line regs will serve you extremely well. On the other hand, if you live in the frozen north, will be diving primarily 40 degree quarry water (in which case, my hat / hood is off to you :D), then the regulator selection might evolve to a more limited number of high-performance units wiuth a history of resisting free-flow in cold tempertaures. (Even then, the only problems I have ever had have been with lower-end regs that I use primarily for deco, when I happened to take them into much colder waters on a pony bottle.) If you see yourself advancing to deeper diving in the not too distant future, and want a reg that breaths extremely well at 180 ft, then you should look for regs that have demontsrated performance at those depths. As for 'buying for the future', that is a good idea in principle. I still have my first ever regulator (a Zeagle 50D) and continue to use it as my primary single tank unit. But, there is also merit in buying a mid-line regulator that you MAY later sell, if your diving evolves to a different need. Not unlike automobiles, the more you pay on the front end, the more the 'depreciation' will be when you sell. I like to buy used gear, dive it for a while, and then sell it for essentially what I paid for it. But, that is just an individual perspective.

Thank you again for all the great information.

I took the Edge/HOG suggestion and looked into getting it serviced around the Denver area before pulling the trigger and never mind service, no shop has heard of the manufacturer. So I guess that's out...

As far as providing additional information, I live in Denver and dive mostly warm water with an occasional trip to the Channel Islands (45-55 degree water). I enjoy deep diving (180') and looking to buy online, but with a manufacture supported in my area for servicing.

With the additional information everyone has provided, I'd prefer a YOKE first stage, simple SPG and now think maybe the M25 is overkill.

BTW to HALOCLINE, it's not that I don't care about my equipment, I just have never purchased my own and have been renting for the past few years. If I asked for advice on a car to buy doesn't mean I can't drive.

pardon my crassness, but 60 dives and you don't know a gear configuration? Something isn't quite kosher here.....

I took the Edge/HOG suggestion and looked into getting it serviced around the Denver area before pulling the trigger and never mind service, no shop has heard of the manufacturer. So I guess that's out...

Why? There are several reputable HOG dealers that will service your gear by mailing it to them. Do a search on the boards and you'll find them. Turnaround is normally around 5 days after the dealer receives it. I've found I can mail my regs in for service and get them back before I could if I took them to a local shop.

HOG also supports divers wishing to service their own gear. I've switched all my gear out to companies that allow this practice.

pardon my crassness, but 60 dives and you don't know a gear configuration? Something isn't quite kosher here.....

It's highly possible if you follow DM's and dive at shops where your rental equipment is assembled.

I consider myself still a newbie, have logged 60 dives and completely convinced I am going to be in this sport for the rest of my life.

I enjoy deep diving (180')

180ft deep, on rental equipment, having only logged 60 dives???

...The HOG's are much cheaper to service and no contract stuff to deal with.
DRIS has the HOG D1 cold water 1st stage w/swivel turret and 5th lp port and the 2nd stage for less than $270.00 right now.

...180ft deep, on rental equipment, having only logged 60 dives???
Yeah, I was wondering the same.

I enjoy deep diving (180')

I'd prefer a YOKE first stage, simple SPG and now think maybe the M25 is overkill.

I just have never purchased my own and have been renting for the past few years. If I asked for advice on a car to buy doesn't mean I can't drive.
So are you diving to 180' using Nitrox? Did you use an AL80 when diving to 180'?

As mentioned both Scuba Toys and Dive Right In Scuba sell HOG for very reasonable prices, and you can easily send them back to them for service. They both offer Scubaboard members a 10% discount. For the price of the Scubapro reg you could get a complete diving rig almost.
Extreme Reg and BPW Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys
The regs listed probably wouldn't be my first choice but a phone call would produce some alterations of the package to suit your needs. I also wouldn't get the Miflex stuff either. Then again I am a cold water diver and want something I can grab onto...plus a long hose. I swear by the Mach V wings and use a Dive Rite plate with no issues. A basic unpadded harness works perfectly, and costs next to nothing to replace. That puts you a rig together for when you want to go tech diving, including an easy upgrade to doubles.

Here are packages from DRIS.
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/packages-c-363_370.html

Back
Top Bottom