Buying my first BCD - read a lot on SB, looking for advice/opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My rig:

P_20180727_182823_LL.jpg

Last edited:
I start shivering in my 5mm semidry.

Everyone is different but in a 5mm semidry, I am thinking a fit problem. Does the suit fit you well? You can try adding lava core or some of the products out there but it would solve the fit issue.

And no, last time in Roatan with 85°F (29°C) water we were both cold, sometimes shivering with our 5mm. [/QUOTE]
I have dived in 8 degrees in water in a membrane Drysuit (no insulating properties) with no undergarments on underneath (don’t ask me) and without gloves for 30 mins and when I came out it took about 3 hrs to get the feeling back in my hands fully. I HAD to have a hot chocolate and warm for half an hour before I could even have my friend assist me doff the neck seal.....

And your cold in a 5mm in 29 degree centigrade water?!?!?!?!

:bigpalm:

Need to get that checked out...[/QUOTE]

Why?? You said youself you need 3 hours and hot chocolate to feel your hands again, that means you were not comfortable. Your survived the dive. If I were to plan to dive, especially a lot of dive in a shorter period, I will plan to be comfortable. OP needs 5mm in 85F to be comfortable. Everyone has different cold tolerance.

This is with my 30# wing for my home diving (5/7mm 1-piece), and a 23# wing (t-shirt or 3mm shortie) is swapped in for that funny tasting warm stuff when I get to go visit it....

@rhwestfall can you provides some more details about your setup? I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize everything from a picture.

Everyone is different but in a 5mm semidry, I am thinking a fit problem. Does the suit fit you well? You can try adding lava core or some of the products out there but it would solve the fit issue.

I think it's just my physiology. The suit fits like a glove. It's a 5mm Waterproof W4 and given my body, it's a size ST (as in small/tall). There's no water exchange whatsoever. When I get out of the water I look like a clown until I lift the seals around my ankles and let the water out. I'm not that worried tbh. In Cozumel I didn't even notice the suit below water, it was that comfortable. There we didn't have any temperature issues, we joked that if felt like being in bed covered by a soft blanket.

I think if you are diving with 5mm, you may want to use a 30lb or wings. Lift capacity depend on things that changes in buoyancy. 5mm is thick enough that 17-20lb wing may or may not cut. A properly designed 30lb wing can be as streamline as those 17-20lb wing.

One thing I want to out, bp/w setup not necessary cheaper. As you can see, Halcyon or Xdeep system can be quite expansive as well. The advantages are definitely modular, so you can change out piece as your advance. Almost infinite adjustability to ensure fit and comfort. And as someone mention, if this is your bp/w setup, it is always good to find some expert help to narrow down the fitting process. You can sure figure this out yourself, but with the correct advice, the process will be a lot quicker and easier.

Personally, I still suggest a solid plate + wing setup. It is very comfortable, it is also scaleable and can grow with you. But if you are looking for dedicated warm water travel rig, there are soft plate setup that is smaller, lighter and more pack-able.

OMG, someone shivering in a 5mm in 85F water?! I’ve been roasting in my 3mm on the shallow side of the quarry (water mid 70s). But I’ll dive wet in a 7mm into the 40s (with 3mm gloves). Waaayyyy different cold tolerances. Lol.

I think it's just my physiology. The suit fits like a glove. It's a 5mm Waterproof W4 and given my body, it's a size ST (as in small/tall). There's no water exchange whatsoever. When I get out of the water I look like a clown until I lift the seals around my ankles and let the water out. I'm not that worried tbh. In Cozumel I didn't even notice the suit below water, it was that comfortable. There we didn't have any temperature issues, we joked that if felt like being in bed covered by a soft blanket.

Don't worry, you are not abnormal. After some trials, I ended up using drysuit in Hawaii and Thailand kind of diving. I think the key is comfort level. Being within the norm isn't a good reason to feel cold. And whose norm anyway!! One thing people don't mention is wind chill factor in surface interval. You can feel perfectly good in water in a 3mm, a windy day on surface can easily feel cold. One more thing, as you diving more, you will feel more comfortable in water, also less un-necessary movement, you tent to get colder too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom