Buying my first BCD - read a lot on SB, looking for advice/opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any experience with BP/W?
Not really. Shop, shop pool and tons of time on SB reading flame wars.

For me the hydros was super comfortable at first wear - probably the flexible back - and for warm water I often dive a shorty or just a suit. You’re potentially carrying so little weight there that even an aluminum bp could be a huge percentage of the total (if not more than.) So I had trim concerns.

Also feels like I was getting analysis paralysis looking at all the options.

Hydros has been perfect for me. No pockets but the more I dive the less crap I take with me. Down to just the SMB and (maybe) a camera at this point (or a light if no camera.)

With a 5mm suit in the tropics you're going to need a metal plate - either steel or aluminum to be "weight integrated" without carrying extra weight in some configurations - likely steel for you, maybe aluminum for your wife. Ever plan to dive w/o the 5mm - test how a metal plate rides on your shoulder blades also - wouldn't be for me.

Do you really want to carry up to 8 lbs pf plate/Sta in your luggage. Some travel BC's weigh 1/2 that.

Strictly for warm water travel use - some to look at: (alpha order)

Aqualung Zuma
Diverite TravelPac
Scubapro Lighthawk
Zeagle Covert/Covert XL
Zeagle Express Tech w/add on weight pockets.Fully modular so you just add what you need - not the cheapest.

You couldn't pay me to own a Hydros. Are you seriously considering a BC that you yourself have questions about getting serviced when it tears out? Really? Also for the price of one, you could both own Lighthawks.

Either the Lighthawk or the Zuma also have no inherent buoyancy - I forget which one.

Scubapro. Aqualung and Zeagle also make ladies BC's - your wofe ,might like the fit/eut much better.

A Brigade is a Ranger jacket with a smaller wing. So more of a hybrid heavy-duty/travel model. The jacket will be too big to go into a carry-on if theat's your intent.

A Covert rolls up small. A Zuma even comes with it's own drawstring bag after it's rolled up. Either will take up much less luggage spece in either carry-on or checked.

Zeagle's are tough - most made with 1000 denier fabric. I've owned a Ranger for well over a decade - changed the inflator once since I wanted their BX inflator so I can flush mine with a garden hose. It;s seen a free service 2 years after I bought it - nothing since.
And although it's big and heavy - I do travel with it - in checked luggage only.

So I think it would have to be a AL plate or a skeleton steel one? Interesting that there's no small AL plates. Good to know, would have to look further there.

It is not entirely correct. Halcyon makes a small AL plate. I use one. One of the best made plate, but pricey. You will have to use STA with this plate tho. Halcyon SS STA without insert is less than 1lb. Plate + full harness with SS hardware + STA + delrin camband = ~5lb.

Weight of wing really depends on the made and model. But I don't think most weight more than 5lb. So it is not impossible to get the rig under 10lb.

Does anyone know if Eric is currently making/selling Freedom Plates?

DSS is shut down while Tobin relocates to Nevada so depending on when "next year" is - that may not be an option as I'm sure an order backlog is building up.

@dulinor I think I'm feeling very much the same. Analysis paralysis hits it on the nail!

Same here, I don't carry much stuff around. So amount of d-rings is not a criteria for me.

@diversteve So with my 5mm in the tropics using a simple rental BCD (I assume given the material, those are positively buoyant). Both my wife and I last needed 16# of weight of which 6 were on our tank bands or trim pockets.

And no, last time in Roatan with 85°F (29°C) water we were both cold, sometimes shivering with our 5mm. Might partly have been psychological as all we saw was what must at some point have been a beautiful reef that was now overgrown with algae, had hardly any fish and was quiet as a graveyard.

I did look at the Litehawk and was also recommended to look into the Lady Hawk and Knight Hawk. I didn't see any trim pockets on them so cut them. Also given the Lady and Knight Hawk's prices here, they weren't significantly lower than the 700 USD after taxes I'm looking for the Hydros at.

Will definitely have to find a store and try those out that you mentioned. Thank you for that list!

I read a bit more about the Zeagle Brigadier / Ranger. It does seem quite bulky for travel as you mention. Will look at those however.

My husband/buddy and I are similar to the OP and his wife in many respects, including number of dives, type of diving, body size, etc.

In terms of dive travel, we prefer light bcds, not only because you have to carry them onto the plane, but also because you may have to carry them back and forth to the dive boat every day, if your dive op doesn’t offer valet service where they wash and dry your gear. For true travel bcds, I would recommend those listed above by @diversteve and I would also add the Oceanic Biolite, which we own. It comes in male and female versions and your wife might prefer that. And they do include trim weights. These all weigh around the 5 lbs range.

More on the technical side, we also bought Transpac XTs with 25lbs travel wings. We intended to use these on liveaboards and we do like it for that purpose but we have one reservation about it. So we are giving it another go in December and if that problem remains unresolved, we might sell it. Our Transpac rig weighs about 7 lbs.

I personally think the Hydros Pro is heavier than I like for travelling. I believe it is closer to 9-10 lbs. and due to its material, it does not pack as flat as my other 2 rigs. I don’t doubt it’s comfortable and steady though, but then so are my 2 other rigs.

I also would like to try the xDeep Ghost, which is light and back inflate. I think it would be great for travel.

I personally don’t prefer bp/w for strictly warm water vacation diving. It really isn’t a “pick up and go” kind of rig. Lots of fiddling with it to get it right. Plus, the benefits aren’t that great for warm water vacation diving as compared to non-bp/w’s. I’m just not that kind of diver when I’m on vacation.

I have nothing against bp/w’s. In fact, I will be doing some pool work in one soon, but I just don’t think it’s the right tool for the job (i.e., warm water vacation diving).

Does anyone know if Eric is currently making/selling Freedom Plates?

Based on the Freedom Contour thread Eric does seem to be active. I'll reach out to him once/if we end up considering his plate for sure.

DSS is shut down while Tobin relocates to Nevada so depending on when "next year" is - that may not be an option as I'm sure an order backlog is building up.
Next year means Summer next year, however, the Scubapro option might not be available anymore at that time. That's why I'm trying to make the decision as earlier than that.

Halcyon makes a small AL plate. I use one. One of the best made plate, but pricey. You will have to use STA with this plate tho. Halcyon SS STA without insert is less than 1lb. Plate + full harness with SS hardware + STA + delrin camband = ~5lb.

Weight of wing really depends on the made and model. But I don't think most weight more than 5lb. So it is not impossible to get the rig under 10lb.

Thanks for that view @eelanoraa!
I had a quick look and found a shop near me that sells them. I got to about 560USD with the backplate & harness plus STA. Would have to add the wing and weight pockets still. But as you mentioned, they do have a smaller AL plate which is what you were referring to.

I’ve only been diving for a year and have about 45 dives. Our family diving is all warm water Caribbean like yours. You’re getting a lot of great suggestions from people more experienced than me but I’ll give you another to consider.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto and my sons do as well. You can fact check to make sure but I think it weighs around 7.5lbs. It’s flaw from your criteria will be it does take up a lot of room in a suitcase but I can get all my gear into a single larger suitcase but too large to carry on so we check the bags. It’s sort of a tweener so not “travel friendly” bare bones but not as bulky as many other BCDs. That’s the downside.

The upside is it’s very comfortable, well made, good attachment points, small pockets on each side that will easily fit everything you carry. Best part for you will be Zeagle’s modular system. What this means is you have mix sizes between the vest size (think shoulder to hip length) and waist size. My older teenage son has you proportions but one notch smaller. He’s 5’8” and 135 lbs. He got a medium vest with a small waist. The waist part also has grommets that allow for further adjustment.

We had the benefit of a LDS that allowed us to try them on, use in pool, etc. I know you don’t have the option so could be hard for you but check out the zeagle website and they do have a video out there on their fitting system.

Back
Top Bottom